The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Egg on Your Face Situations

More
1 month 1 week ago #5180 by Big Bill
Replied by Big Bill on topic Egg on Your Face Situations
This was the result the first time I removed and replaced the clam shell front cover. I was very careful after installing a new set of points and condenser.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #5181 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Egg on Your Face Situations
Another BMW rite of passage. I have done that myself !! B)

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Wobbly.

More
1 month 1 day ago #5227 by Viejo
Replied by Viejo on topic Egg on Your Face Situations

jnicks01 wrote: Haha. Nice ones guys!! Anyone ever saddle up and reached over to put on the seat belt?

Years ago (mid 60's) I went back in the shop at Dallas Motorcycles Sales and saw one of the wrenches braising a lug on the fame of a new Marusho (Japanese BMW clone). When I asked him what it was for he pointed to one already affixed to the other side and said- "seat belt mounts". The customer's reasoning was that if seat belts made cars safer, and motorcycles were more dangerous than cars, then......

When I asked Harold Yaw, the owner of the shop (BMW, Ducati, Matchless, Norton) if he had questioned the customer's reasoning he just said- "his bike, his money".

caveat emptor

More
2 weeks 6 hours ago #5328 by 14979
Replied by 14979 on topic Egg on Your Face Situations
I normally ride with ear plugs, except when I test ride after a repair/upgrade session. This time I hear a noise that for the life of me sounds like a timing belt tensioner going bad. At first seems rpm & load related but then only rpm. It sounds like the left front of the bike. A couple stops, rev & listen, nothing. OK must be a rolling part. So heading home on a quiet road listening and listening trying to isolate where this noise is coming from. Then quite by accident I touched the empty RAM mount for a Garmin eTrex20. It's that %*%#^( little roller that holds the GPS in the cradle.
Just the right rpm and wind makes it sing.
Ah the bliss of using ear plugs :)

1981 R100RT

More
1 day 19 hours ago #5364 by 14975
Replied by 14975 on topic Egg on Your Face Situations
When I first bought my R75/5 back in 1987, I'd never ridden a motorcycle before. It came with straight, open pipes and a tiny 'cafe' bar. After a few weeks of mucking around I found and fixed the problem (torn diaphragm in one carb), got it running...sort of, and decided to take a test ride in the dirt lot in front of the shack I shared with several unsavory friends. I fired it up and in the confusion of my first ride, forgot to take the choke off. So, very high idle. Went to let the clutch out, it grabbed and the bike shot out from under me, laid over and spun in a circle...in front of all my laughing roomates. Took years before I heard the end of that.

72 SWB 75/5 Toaster. Craven Golden Arrow luggage.

I got held back in the fourth grade myself. Twice! Look at me, man! Now I drive the school bus! - Otto Mann

Moderators: 14652Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.976 seconds