The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Want it to go to a good home

• 11368's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Newbie
  • Forum Newbie
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #5277 by 11368
Want it to go to a good home was created by 11368
I've posted my '85 R80RT for sale on only 3-sites, here, BMWMOA & BMWLT, because I want an enthusiast to own it. I really appreciated it, and took proper care of it,
but I'm just not riding it much. Is there a certain time of year they sell? I don't see a lot of them moving out on the AirBazaar here.

Thanks,
Jer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #5286 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Want it to go to a good home
• Most bike sales are in May and June.

• Most bike sales are now used bikes, but most bikes being sold are in the price slump. If you'll check a source like CraigsList you'll see that the best prices on BMWs are from 2000-2005. Both after and before that period, prices climb. So buyers are simply shopping for the much cheaper and more modern bikes.

• The only person looking for a 1985 anything is someone who "had one back in the day" or someone who is familiar with the model because their dad or other family friend had one. That's a very select group.

The end result of me trying to sell several classic bikes was that they were too old to get a bank loan on, and very few people are walking around with the asking price in cash. Although the Blue Book might advise a value of (say for instance) $3500, the truth is that most twenty-somethings shopping for bikes can only scrape together $2000. So unless you can get that bike out in front of a MUCH wider audience with something like Ebay Motors, then be prepared for the possibility that you might have to give it away for a much lower price.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Wobbly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: 14652Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.228 seconds