The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Post a Picture of your Airheads

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #5408 by 4011
Replied by 4011 on topic Post a Picture of your Airheads
My "new" (to me) 1993 R100GS at the ethanal free gas station in FT. Collins, CO

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago - 3 weeks 2 days ago #5425 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Post a Picture of your Airheads

Newly on the road, but not new to me, this '81 R80 G/S was rescued from an estate by a friend of mine, who then made me a heck of a deal on it. It wasn't in the best of shape, having sat outside under a leaky tarp in Richmond, California for many, many years. The aluminum was encrusted in white oxidation, the frame and steel parts rusted and pitted, the output shaft bearing in the transmission was shot, and the list goes on and on. It would never be a collector bike, so it was no holds barred in rebuilding it. Here are some highlights:

- HPN pattern reinforcing gussets fabricated from 4130 steel and welded to the frame, which was then bead blasted and coated with POR-15 Chassis Coat
- Transmission rebuilt by Ted Porter, 5% taller 5th gear installed
- R100RS cylinders and heads installed with Wossner 9.5:1 pistons, Silent Hektik ignition, dual plugged by Randy Long, and 40mm Bing carbs
- Emerald Island Denso starter and Omega alternator
- R100R exhaust system and center stand
- 10" Jesse saddle bags on both sides with no muffler cutouts with reinforced rear seat loop mounts
- Hi rise aluminum handlebars with 1 1/2" custom fabricated risers
- R80 G/S PD tank and solo seat
- Reproduction Siebenrock plastic side covers
- Custom candy apple paint from House of Kolor with gold leaf and pin striping
- Big disc front brake conversion
- Wilburs rear shock and fork springs
- Billet top triple clamp
- Acewell 3962 digital speedo and tack with Baja Designs headlight and handlebar fairing; the original equipment parts were missing
- Rekeyed by Valley Lock & Safe in Chico, CA so everything works off one key
- R100GS engine bash plate with custom fabricated center stand bash plate
- Albert wide view mirrors
- Acerbis front fender stiffener
- Siebenrock replacement seat foam and cover
- Replacement steering head and swing arm bearings

Between the frame reinforcements and upgraded suspension, this is the most stable and fast handling airhead I've ever ridden. The engine pulls strongly to redline, and the low G/S final drive ratio lets it get there very quickly. The big Jesse boxes hold a ton of stuff, perfect for long camping trips or runs to the grocery store. Surprisingly, the tiny fairing keeps the worst of the wind off my chest, leaving smooth, quiet air around my helmet. And I'm really happy with the Heidenau K60 Scout tires, both on and off road. The bike was three years in the building, and well worth the wait.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 20-21, 2019
Last edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by 8166.

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #5446 by Frank Smith
Replied by Frank Smith on topic Post a Picture of your Airheads
Beautiful bike

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #5456 by bentouttashape
Replied by bentouttashape on topic Post a Picture of your Airheads
Back on an Airhead because it followed me home, was 11 years in storage with several things not functioning: front brakes, electrical gremlins, instrument lights plus neglect.

this is a 74 R75/6 with 34K miles on it, so I fixed most things then took it on a 10 hour, 320 km ride from Victoria to the Island West Coast, latter half of which was in the heavy rain.

Needless to say several other items showed up on this trip like the headlight relay dying and the rear brake disappearing.

But Airheads are mean to be ridden far and hard and as I've been riding and wrenching iron for the last 60 years why quit now.

This is one great site and glad I joined
Attachments:

More
2 weeks 21 hours ago #5457 by olliew72
Replied by olliew72 on topic Post a Picture of your Airheads
Here's mine, as captured by my co-worker as I rode to work with my dog on the back. (no animals were harmed in the filming of this...)

and in a better picture.
Attachments:

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #5473 by Blue-1
Replied by Blue-1 on topic Post a Picture of your Airheads
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Blue-1.

Moderators: 14652Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.787 seconds