The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon R100T Not Charging

• sbsurdyka@yahoo.com
  • sbsurdyka@yahoo.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
3 months 1 week ago #4798 by sbsurdyka@yahoo.com
R100T Not Charging was created by sbsurdyka@yahoo.com
My Alternator Light Is Low glowing. Raving the engine does not change the intensity of the light. The Voltage meter shows 10-11 Volts. My Battery draining and not charging. In the past when I had this problem and replacing the brushes fixed the issue.This time when the light started the low dim glow, replacing the brushes this time did not fix the problem. I then replaced the Alternator, Rectifier, Voltage regulator and all the wiring connected to them with no Fix to the problem. A lot of time and expense with no resolution. Please help !

Let Me know if you can help ! Thanks

Scott Surdyka This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachment not found

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #4803 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic R100T Not Charging
A model year would really help.

My only suggestion is that the battery charges though the battery cables. All 4 terminals on the 2 cables must be clean and well terminated. Pop off the starter cover (2 bolts) and see if you find aqua-green corrosion on the Positive battery cable connection. If so, then replace the entire Positive cable.

Acid Soaked Positive Cable

The Negative battery cable has an equally tough time making a good connection. This is due to the low torque of the speedometer cable hold-down bolt that BMW chose for termination.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Wobbly.

More
3 months 1 week ago #4808 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic R100T Not Charging
First, get a copy of Rick Jones' charging system book from Motorrad Elektrik and read it. It gives detailed instructions for diagnosing and fixing charging system problems just like the one you're having.

My guess is that the rotor is not getting current, either because current isn't reaching it, or because there is no ground. But that's just a guess, and trying to diagnose problems like this over the 'net is a fool's errand.

Get the book, read it, and get back to us with what you found in the various steps. My bet is you'll find the problem without any further help from us, but we're here to help clear up any confusion if you need us.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 20-21, 2019

More
3 months 1 week ago #4814 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic R100T Not Charging

8166 wrote: First, get a copy of Rick Jones' charging system book from Motorrad Elektrik and read it.

That is a great little book, isn't it !

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.144 seconds