The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Elevated Engine Idle RPM

More
2 months 2 days ago #5222 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Elevated Engine Idle RPM
Every electrical or mechanical component on a motorcycle will eventually fail. If you have a spare along with you, many of them can be easily replaced and you can resume your journey. So put a pair of points or an electronic ignition trigger in your saddle bag and rest easy. You can't carry everything,, though so it's important to remember that break downs are what separate vacations from adventures. Recover the bike to a place where it can be worked on in comfort, make a diagnosis, and get the needed parts on the way. In the mean time, get to know the community around you, and you may find the people there as interested in what you're up to as you are in their way of life.

But you both forget that you want to source those parts from a merchant that will provide service with things go sideways. My experience with EME has been less than satisfactory; I somehow end up with the blame for their failed components. Contrarily I've had stellar service from Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik and Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop, both of which sell and provide no questions asked warranty service for the Emerald Island line of parts.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 20-21, 2019

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 days ago #5224 by 895
Replied by 895 on topic Elevated Engine Idle RPM
You and I think alike. I too got burned by EME whose EnDuraLast points are sourced from the far east. Also, they sent me a fuel pump suction filter inlet "sock" which didn't fit right. Their customer service offered no resolution other than "It fits on other people's BMWs."

Prior to my friend's ordering the EME EnDuraLast electronic ignition, he asked me to choose between Rick Jone's Alpha or the EnDuraLast electronic ignition. I told him to go with the Alpha primarily because of Rick Jones' stellar reputation (I used that exact same superlative!) within the Airhead community. I also pointed out that his resistor spark plugs will cause the electronic system to quit.

As for coil compatibility, EME states "The EME ignition is NOT compatible with conventional electronic ignition coils, which typically have a primary resistance of around .7 ohms. These coils will fry the EnDuraLast ignition."

My friend now has buyer's remorse and is reconsidering his choice. He indicates the EME system looks like a PIA to install.

8166 wrote: My experience with EME has been less than satisfactory; I somehow end up with the blame for their failed components. Contrarily I've had stellar service from Rick Jones at Motorrad Elektrik and Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop, both of which sell and provide no questions asked warranty service for the Emerald Island line of parts.

More
2 months 2 days ago #5226 by 895
We're going to install Rick Jones' Alpha ignition instead of EME's EnDuraLast electronic ignition. The optically-triggered EnDuraLast ignition has a more complicated and time-consuming installation procedure than the Hall-Effect-triggered Alpha system.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #5233 by 8244
Replied by 8244 on topic Elevated Engine Idle RPM
Sounds like sticky advance weights to me.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #5235 by 895
That''s my opinion as well. A Motorrad Elektrik Alpha electronic ignition system is on order to replace the bean can. I'd still love to open up the bean can to inspect the centrifugal advance to find sacked springs and hardened grease.

One of the front brake discs on the R65's dual-disc Brembo front brakes is warped (lateral run-out). When the front wheel is spinning on a NoMar tire balancing jig, we observe the disc moves in and out ever so slightly. We didn't have a magnetic base dial indicator to measure and quantify the run-out value and we're unable to find acceptance criteria for lateral run-out, therefore, a new disc was ordered from EME.

Wouldn't you know that EME shipped the wrong disc?

8244 wrote: Sounds like sticky advance weights to me.

More
1 month 4 weeks ago #5237 by 8244
Replied by 8244 on topic Elevated Engine Idle RPM
Sticking weights caused that same condition (high idle) on my son’s 82 RS. That’s electronic isn’t it?

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.424 seconds