The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon 1982 R65 Starter Does Not Stop Running

• dretek
  • dretek's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #5304 by dretek
Fellow Airheads,

Some of you may remember my 1982 BMW R65 with VM34 Mikuni Carbs:

Anyways, I've had so much fun riding around. The major problems I am having right now is:

The starter does not shut off when cranked over (usually when bike is warm)
After a long ride, I parked outside my garage. When it was time to move her in, I fired her up, and the starter kept cranking (even with killswitch: OFF and key: OUT). What's going on here?

Odometer is broken
Nothing is moving on the odometer and the tripometer HARDLY increases.
Is there something I could check?
If I wanted to get a new odometer/dashboard setup, do you guys have any suggestions?

Bike stumbles at 900 RPM when initially fired, after 10 minutes, it idles at 1100 RPM
Basically, the bike is: fire her up and GO. This is OKAY, but I gotta stay revving at stop lights for 10+ minutes. Occasionally, it will stumble and shut off so I have to play this delicate game of keeping 1000+ RPM until its warm.
I could rotate in my idle screws to hold an idle from cold, but then the idle will sit @ 1250+ RPM when its warm. Any suggestions?
NOTE: These are Mikunis!

Rear brake light does not light when pressing rear brake pedal
Not the biggest deal because I can use my front brakes, but I'd like to start looking at electrical components. Where do I start?

Blue skies,
-Andre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #5309 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic 1982 R65 Starter Does Not Stop Running
1) Your starter needs disassembling and cleaning. Being sure to re-pack the bearings with new grease or replace them. The bendix throw parts are probably jammed with clutch debris.

2) There are gears driving the odometer cluster that are a press-fit onto the shaft. It is VERY common for them to start slipping on the shaft. Snowbum has ideas on how to fix this.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.877 seconds