The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Engine cutout, 83 r80rt

• Eodinski
  • Eodinski's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
3 years 1 week ago #562 by Eodinski
Engine cutout, 83 r80rt was created by Eodinski
I was out riding the other day crusing about 60 in 5th gear when for a brief second the engine cutout. No other indication that I noticed. Any ideas?
Tank was almost full, other than that it runs fine.
Thanks

Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #563 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Engine cutout, 83 r80rt
Oh man, intermittent problems like this are the hardest to trouble shoot. Could be anything from a bad ignition switch, bad kill switch, bad heat sink compound under the ECU, junk in the carb, blocked air inlet to the fuel tank, to the phase of the moon. My gut tells me it's electrical, and most likely the ignition switch. The cheap easy fix is to get some DeOxIt, disassemble the switch components until you can get to the rotary switch under the mechanical key part, and hose the contacts. But If it was me, I'd keep riding until I'd established a pattern of misbehavior and see if that let me to a more accurate diagnosis.

Then again it could be a broken wire, most likely up near the steering head. Again, keep riding it and pay attention to what's going on if/when it happens again. If you can get the problem to consistently reproduce itself, you're very close to solving it. Otherwise, you're shooting in the dark and possibly throwing money and time away replacing parts that are perfectly OK.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 20-21, 2019

• Eodinski
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
3 years 1 week ago #564 by Eodinski
Replied by Eodinski on topic Engine cutout, 83 r80rt
Yes, I was thinking electrical although I am in the process of checking the carbs. It cuts out then back too quickly to be fuel related. I was hoping there was a group here who had similar issues and pinpointed it to one component. Something like a weak link in the electrical system. I'll look at the ignition switch as see if cleaning it does the trick. My only concern is that it may seem to be fixed, I take a big trip and pop! I'm stuck on the side of the road.

Thanks for the help.

Eric

More
3 years 1 week ago #565 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Engine cutout, 83 r80rt
Oh man, I feel for you. However, these type issues typically do not leave you stranded 20 miles form the nearest sign of civilization. IME, most of the time they show up off and on and continue to get slightly longer in duration each time. Instead of being fearful, I suggest you be prepared to address the issue with some diagnostic tools while the fault is close at hand. Otherwise when the item finally fails for good, you will be walking.

It also occurs to me that this is electrical in nature. I also concur with 8166 in that the places to investigate first are the places which experience movement: ignition switch, parts of the harness around the head post, and the handlebar kill switch. Also look at your affect on those areas. Have you recently added cable ties that might beautify, but also in hindsight hinder the free movement of said cables ??

The tool of choice then would be one of these ice pick looking test lights. Easy to buy or make yourself. At the first sign of trouble, as quickly as you can, probe the input and outputs on the rear of the ignition switch and work through the ignition circuit from there. The key of course is to be prepared with 1) your test lamp and 2) by knowing where power is supposed to be when the bike is running. That means a little bit of familiarization with the tool and circuit BEFORE you leave the safety of your garage.

Good luck.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
3 years 1 week ago #571 by 8053
Replied by 8053 on topic Engine cutout, 83 r80rt
I had a similar problem on an R100/7. It turned out to be a stress fractured female spade connector in the block where the starter relay plugs in on the left side of the frame backbone, under the fuel tank. More specificly, the connector on the red wire that runs from the battery on that model. It started out as an intermittent cut-out as described, and quickly digressed to a complete failure that left me stranded. And, it was very difficult to pin-point.
Just a suggestion base on personal experience.

James Strickland, IL. Airmarshal

• Eodinski
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
3 years 1 week ago #576 by Eodinski
Replied by Eodinski on topic Engine cutout, 83 r80rt
Thanks all.

The big problem of finding it, is that it only cuts out for a second, literally. I was out Saturday for a 100 + mile ride and it only happened once, and early in the ride, the engine was warmed up by then, so not a cold engine issue. I did some hard accelerations to see if it did it under load but nothing.

I have some work I'll be doing in the next few weeks, so I'll be checking the electrical.

Eric

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.946 seconds