The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon New Airhead Owner - Needs Help! (Lots of Images)

• dretek
  • dretek's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #4771 by dretek
I am able to see light through the slow pilot jets. However, this green tarnish does not really come off. Is that okay? Also, what is the green tarnish?

Do the jets need to come out to be cleaned? I am struggling to take out this pin:

I am soaking the carbs in the carb cleaner and trying to brush off what I can with an old toothbrush, but not much is happening.

Blue skies,
Andre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #4772 by Wobbly
Andre -
Every question you asked is already answered in my last post. And also indicated, you don't have to do the scrubbing and other cleaning you have set out to do. Not only is the work you're now doing NEEDLESS, but the further you take the carb apart, the greater the chance it will never get put back together correctly, or anytime soon.

Seriously, I've been a pro motorcycle mechanic off and on since 1966, and I rebuilt at least 150 carbs last year alone, several just like your Mic. Therefore, I may know something about the subject at hand.

And most reprehensible of all, you've forgotten Wobbly's 1st Law: The object of owning a motorcycle is not to take it apart and spread it all over the garage. The object is to ride around town, pick up chicks, and have fun.

Do what I said and go ride the bike. Please.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

• dretek
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #4774 by dretek
I like the way you think Wobbly! Thank you so much. The bike was starting to look spread lol. Guess I am eager to turn wrenches on whatever I can!

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #4775 by Wobbly
Thank you for your vote of confidence. The land of internet motorcycle repair often means a responder has to be part mechanic, part expert electro-mechanical engineer, and part therapist. That last one is often the hardest, because if you were on my therapist couch it would be easy to simply lean over, swat you with the newspaper and yell "Wake up !!" :P

Yours is a common symptom. Young guys loose focus because motorcycles come apart so easily. But it's important to realize that things you can take apart in 10 minutes... may take an expert 3 hours to re-assemble. The mental line between taking apart and real, actual repair gets very blurred.

I mean really... think about it. Your car has many of the same parts, but it's NOT spread all over the garage !! :S

So lets get this thing running so we can concentrate on the actual purpose..... CHICKS ! I find, even as a religious man, that hanging a "nudie" calendar on the wall right next to the motorcycle often helps maintain this focus. You might try that.

And you'll need to build up all the momentum you can this week, because next week you'll run head first into Wobbly's 2nd Law of motorcycles: "A man always buys a motorcycle with one more carb than he's capable of tuning." But, with a nudie calendar and a 12 foot piece of 1/4" clear tubing, we can conquer than one too. :evil:

All the best !!

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Wobbly.

• dretek
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #4778 by dretek
Oh, fudge.

In a combination of forcing the carb back and tightening too hard, the pipe from the air filter to the carb intake got dented and I have no way of telling if it's air tight:

I put my mouth at the bent area to see if it was air tight, couldn't really tell.

Also, when installing the carburetor, is there a particular order or to put it so it doesn't feel forced? Example: throttle cable, then air side, then engine side, then fuel?

When the carbs are just "hanging" on the throttle cables is that a good time to check the throttle valve?

Also is there a good way to get fuel hoses on the nozzles, besides from twisting. Like some lubrication or something?

T-minus 11 days til I learn to ride. Help an Airhead out!
Blue skies,
Andre
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Wobbly.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #4781 by 14979
A leak on the air box side is not the end of the world. Simply the carb will get some unfiltered air. As an expedient a bit of duct tape would seal.

The throttle slide should smoothly rise and drop with finger pressure. NEVER force, these are precisely manufactured components if they don't go together, find out why. Those blue hoses and worm hose clamps don't look OEM. OE hoses should slip on without undue force.

Generally a bit of heat, hair dryer heat or gun on low carefully, will soften rubbers like fuel lines to allow them to slip over nipples easier.

Sequence, attach the carb to the intake next attach the throttle cable and choke, next the fuel line. Check operation and finally install the air box to Carb hose.
But these aftermarket parts can cause problems.

1981 R100RT

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.136 seconds