The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Recommendation for New Windscreen?

• mjmorrisva
  • mjmorrisva's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #4842 by mjmorrisva
Recommendation for New Windscreen? was created by mjmorrisva
Friends, this past weekend I finally got the 82 R100RT out on the street. I went to a local bikes-n-breakfast meeting where I learned there was a classic bike show not too far from there that day. Took the bike to the classic bike show along with some other riders from the breakfast meeting. I put the R bike up on the center stand which was fine...for a few minutes. Then the ground gave way and the bike slowly tipped over. Luckily, no damage to the gorgeously restored R69S next to me. The R bike however suffered a broken right mirror and the windscreen cracked (not repairable).

I'm looking for any and all suggestions/recommendations for replacing the screen. I'm partial to keep the bike OEM but the height of the original doesnt hit me the way I would like. If there are aftermarket screens you have used and like please let me know and share your thoughts.

Thank you in advance,
Matthew

1982 R100RT

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #4843 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Recommendation for New Windscreen?
I've moved your post to the Parts Is Parts discussion area where it will be easier to find and will get more responses.

I run a Clearview vented shield on my '95 RT and wish I'd gone with a Parabellum. I don't get the coverage I should and the width of the shield interferes with being able to see the mirrors.

You may not have the same issues, as your anatomy and the setup of the bike interact in unique ways. Both are quality products.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 20-21, 2019

• mjmorrisva
  • mjmorrisva's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #4846 by mjmorrisva
Replied by mjmorrisva on topic Recommendation for New Windscreen?
Scott thank you, I wasnt sure if it was a parts question or general discussion to offer opinions. When you go the Clearview how hard was that to install? I've heard some horror stories.

Thoughts please,
M

1982 R100RT

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #4847 by thundermotive
Replied by thundermotive on topic Recommendation for New Windscreen?
I put a Clear View on my RS. At first it looked as if it would not fit due to the curvature and hole placement. What worked for me was to get all the fasteners started, then begin tightening them from the center out to the edges.When they were all tight it fit perfectly. Be careful tightening the plastic screws as it's easy to break them. Mine came with a few extras.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #4892 by 9166
Replied by 9166 on topic Recommendation for New Windscreen?
I've had two RT's and on both I upgraded to the Parabellum windshield. And really happy with the results. They've given better protection and the height worked out to be perfect for me at 5'11".

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #4893 by 9166
Replied by 9166 on topic Recommendation for New Windscreen?
I'm glad to hear I haven't been the only one with issues with the screw holes on a Clear View. I had picked up one for my R100S and was frustrated at first with what appeared to be holes drilled in the wrong place. After a bit of thought and a barley I did just what you did and it worked out fine.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.936 seconds