The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Relay for heated grips

More
6 months 3 days ago #4454 by 16077
Relay for heated grips was created by 16077
Thanks Wobbly. I've been drawing circuits and experimenting. I appreciate your effort.
It's a matter of reconciling the theory, or circuit diagram, to the physical components. I think I have it solved only to try it out and realize it aint workin'.

It's a long weekend! so here I go. Will try on the bike using your idea.
thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 days ago #4455 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Relay for heated grips
By obtaining your relay power using Green/Black, you protect the relay circuit with the 8A fuse already in your headlamp shell. Additionally, either the ignition key or the manual switch will turn the grips OFF.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #4493 by 16077
Replied by 16077 on topic Relay for heated grips
I actually, finally hooked it all up. Pulled power from the battery, went through the relay, to a switch, to the grips. Pretty disappoint result however. There does look like there's power and I can feel a little heat, but not as good as my '87 K75S. This is not running, just pulling power from the battery.

Question: I just used a simple single pole switch, not the high/low original. I assumed that would be equal to on or High. Should I go back to the original? I want full power (hot!).

thanks

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #4495 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Relay for heated grips
The amount of heat you feel is based solely on the wattage of the heaters. So before I answer any more questions, why don't you tell us about the wattage.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #4496 by 16077
Makes sense. I think I eventually realized the two heat settings would be controlled by more or less resistance.

I don't know what the wattage is, these are factory grips purchased on ebay.

But, I am giving up. With your help I learned how to wire this up properly, got the system working, but felt only a trickle of heat at the grips. Turned out to be a big waste of time and money as far as keeping the hands warm.

Next step might be to try Oxfords or heated gloves. Oh well.

thanks for your patience and expert advice. You don't learn if you don't try...

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #4513 by 16077
Just to close this out – It Worked! yes, it took me a long time and some frustration, but as they say, if you know what you're doing it easy. I started out definitely not knowing, now I do.

Long story short: the power comes straight off the battery to a relay. The relay is activated by simple switch at the bars. The application (heated grips) are powered from the relay. The relay and fuse tuck in neatly in the headlight bucket.

The green/black is a fused line.
I added a fuse in between the connector board and the relay, just in case.

I think it's a pretty cool system and the alternator seems up to the task (it's fresh but just original output). On a simple test startup (crazy salt and ice around here) at least in the driveway the alternator read fine. I'll check more carefully soon.

So thanks again for the great advice.
Can't wait for drier, less salty roads.
Attachments:

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.117 seconds