The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Replace Oil Pan Gasket 1982 R100RS

More
1 month 1 week ago #5064 by 12511
Replace Oil Pan Gasket 1982 R100RS was created by 12511
Have gusher. Will be replacing oil pan gasket. Does the center stand stand need to removed? Or can this be done with bike on center stand? Any helpful info will be appreciated. Intend to use silicone gasket as have good experience using silicone gaskets on valve covers if installed dry and not over tightened

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #5065 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Replace Oil Pan Gasket 1982 R100RS
I do this work quickly and easily on the center stand. Careful to use a properly sized torque wrench for re-assembly. Those bolts can't take take much tightening.

However, it's hard to believe you have a "gusher" unless some of the holding bolts are stripped in the block. Are you sure you're not dealing with elderly push rod tube seals ? Those would give the same general appearance, and are much more likely suspects.

Hope this helps.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
1 month 1 week ago #5066 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Replace Oil Pan Gasket 1982 R100RS
I'll echo Wobbly's concern that you actually do have a leaking pan gasket. Usually it is the pushrod tube seals that are leaking, and they drip down over the pan gasket, and the wind blows the oil all over as well. To be sure, you can Gunk the engine and get it REALLY clean. Then spray it with Dr. Scholls foot powder, the white stuff. Then go for a ride, stopping every few minutes to see where the oil has wet the white powder.

Once you're sure it's really the pan gasket, keep in mind that a genuine BMW pan gasket comes pre-coated with sealant (that's why they almost never leak). On the other hand, every silicon gasket I've ever tried has leaked, either because at the factory specified torque it squeezed out of the joint, or at lower torque wouldn't seal. They'll even swell and start leaking. Nope, give me an OEM gasket every time. And again like Wobbly sez, use an INCH pound torque wrench to tighten them. Otherwise you stand a very good chance of breaking a bolt or stripping a thread in the case.

Put the bike on the center stand. Can you reach all the bolts with your socket wrench? If the answer is yes, you can do the job with the bike on the 'stand. It is possible on my GSs, R, and RT, but I'm not sure about an RS of that vintage.

Whatever you do, get back to us and let us know how well it worked out, OK?

Good Luck!

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 20-21, 2019

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #5171 by 12511
Replied by 12511 on topic Replace Oil Pan Gasket 1982 R100RS
Appreciate your input. Finally got to it. Even though two bolts could not be accessed by socket, things came apart quite readily with bike on center stand. Pan gasket came out in 4 or 5 pieces - brittle and very apparently past its life expectancy.

Replaced with silicone gasket. Tightened in criss cross pattern working from center out. Did not have proper torque wrench so just went easy. After a few hundred miles no leaks. Yeah. Had intended to permatex the bolts, but the Permatex would not come out of tube and went without it. Just a bit of Never Sieze on bolts.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #5172 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Replace Oil Pan Gasket 1982 R100RS
Good to hear a great outcome.

Ride happy.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds