The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Just handed a big bowl of humility

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #4616 by 14440
Just handed a big bowl of humility was created by 14440
I was feeling pretty good about current bike on my lift. I rebuilt forks, cleaned and repacked steering head bearing, rebuilt front calipers, new stainless brake lines, touched up frame. Bead blasted and painted exhaust and mufflers (R65LS with black exhaust), rebuilt both carbs, replaced push rod seals. Changed every fluid I could find. Had ridden after front end work and the quiver I had at speed was gone. Either the forks of steering head bearing. Last thing, last thing I was going to do before taking it off the lift, riding and balancing carbs was check timing (valves done with push rod seal job). Tiny bit retarded. I disconnected ground wire, removed front cover, loosened and rotated small increment. Went to start it for dynamic timing. No start. Headlight and tail light on. No instrument lights or starter. Checked kill switch, checked fuses. Engine should run without cover on for timing, right? Pulled ground cable again and put front cover back on. Same picture no start. Stared at the schematic for a while and decided to close up for the night as I was frustrated.

Somewhere in the back of my brain is the thought I have heard this situation before and should know the answer.
Thoughts?
Answers?
Diagnostic plans?
Tim
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Wobbly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #4619 by 14440
Replied by 14440 on topic Just handed a big bowl of humility
Thought I would add that I have not had the tank off or done any electrical work since riding it for 2 days to evaluate front end work.
Thanks again,
Tim
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Wobbly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 0.953 seconds