- Published on Sunday, 04 March 2012
- Written by Jim Howland
The Airheads Beemer Club arose from a need for information on the care and feeding of airhead BMWs, and from a desire for camaraderie with likeminded souls. Many riders originally drawn to BMW for its simplicity, light weight and agility were confused by BMWs newer models, which seem to lack these attractive elements. For many years the enthusiast clubs - intent on pushing the new models - ignored its traditional base, which frustrated many airhead owners.
The Airheads Beemer Club places the airhead back on its pedestal where it belongs, as the finest all-round motorcycle ever produced. Airmail, our newsletter, features only airheads. Our many Airhead Rendezvous' and Tech Days all year round accent our bike of choice, though riders of other bikes seem attracted to the Airhead spirit.
If you want to see what it's all about, the best way is to attend one of our events. Introduce yourself as a newbie, make yourself at home, and you'll receive a warm welcome.
Where does the term Airhead come from?
The BMW motorcycles we ride have air cooled cylinder heads that stick out at a 180 degree angle characteristic of the BMW type 247 engine.
History and Founders
- The Airheads Beemer Club was founded in 1991 by B. Jan Hofman (#1) and AlWatson (#2.)
- B. Jan produced the first copy of "Airmail," our clubnewsletter, in December of 1991, and he continues to be the editor today.
- The term "airhead," as it relates to BMW motorcycles, was coined by Al, andthe term "oilhead," as used by the International Oilheads Club, was coined by B. Jan. These terms have entered the motojournalist lexicon.
- Our slogan, "Simple by Choice" was created by Ron Jensen.
- The club logo was designed by Jan except for the smile, which was the idea of Carolyn Laronche.
- Our first rally was the Feb. 1993 Death Valley Rendezvous initiated, planned, and executed by Fred Kumm #117.
- Our original website was conceived and created by Mike Leonard.
- The ABC continues to thrive thanks to the talents and selfless dedication of its volunteers.
- Airheads ride Beemers with air-cooled heads.
- Airheads believe that the simplest engineering solutions are the best.
- Airheads appreciate function over form, fact over fiction, and friendship over friction.
- Airheads regard money as a tool, not a status symbol.
- Airheads are earthly people who like to camp.
- Airheads maintain their own motorcycles.
- Airheads don't take themselves, religion or life too seriously.
- Airheads like to share time, knowledge, parts and camaraderie with other Airheads
We also have a Facebook page for those wishing to connect to other airheads: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/airheadsbeemer/