The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'
× This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

Topic-icon Increase membership

• BarryB
  • BarryB's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
2 years 4 months ago #1901 by BarryB
Increase membership was created by BarryB
I own and run a discussion forum with over 30,000 members. Why has ABC decided to maintain a private web presence? I don't get it. The club ought to be making it as open as possible and letting the world see what we're up to. I firmly believe that being secluded keeps membership and member involvement low. I know I rarely post in this forum due to its low activity.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #1934 by Bret
Replied by Bret on topic Increase membership
Some of us prefer quality over quantity. I have been a member of national organizations and state and local affiliates of those organizations. It seems that when anything gets over a certain size the organization seems to swallow up the subject. This organization supports the subject. The available technical expertise is among the best of any organization I have been a member of. ABC seems well focused on the subject which is of interest to a small segment of society. It's not for everybody. That is why I joined.

• BarryB
  • BarryB's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
2 years 4 months ago #1937 by BarryB
Replied by BarryB on topic Increase membership
While I too value quality, I would argue that providing it has little to do with privacy, or a closed group. An open group draws from a much wider base of experience and keeps the "know-it-alls" from dominating discussion. With active proper moderation, an open forum will provide both quality and quantity, and promote what it is we love.

The group's Facebook page is more active than this forum, yet it is not user friendly for discussion. Posts quickly get shoved down to oblivion and forget trying to update a post one made a month or two before. Image size restrictions on FB don't help when a photo is needed for technical purposes.

Regards.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #1957 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Increase membership
Anyone on the Internet can see all the forum posts. But if they want to post themselves, they need to be a member.

Just like the tech articles: Anyone can see a short teaser, enough to get a sense of what the article is about, but they need to be a member to read the rest of it.

The intent is to show that there's enough here just on the web site to justify spending a measly twenty-five bux to join the club. Add in all the real world benefits like the dAIRectory, Barley Therapies, Rendezvous, and Tech Days, which really represent the heart of the club, and a real hold-it-in-your-hands magazine, and it's probably one of the best bargains any frugal Airhead will ever come across.

Restricting two way participation to members only also keeps the trolls, time wasters, and Internet spammers to a minimum, improving the overall member experience online. And it greatly reduces the load on the moderators.

I think the biggest hurdle we face with respect to the Forum is the rather poorly executed software we're using. It's a Joomla module, and the most popular of the ones we've been able to find, but lags, duplicate posts, and a somewhat difficult to understand user interface put a lot of people off. If you can offer suggestions for something better, we'd be all ears.

Bottom line here is that the web site is just an enhancement to ABC membership, and NOT an end unto itself. We'd prefer to have participants on the web site that believe in most of the ABC Canons, and demonstrate that by actually joining up and participating in real life events. The camaraderie at the events is what the ABC is really about, not some cyberspace abstraction designed to maximize click counts.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 20-21, 2019
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by 8166.

More
2 years 3 months ago #2017 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Increase membership

Bret wrote: Some of us prefer quality over quantity. This organization supports the subject. The available technical expertise is among the best of any organization I have been a member of.

I joined this Club specifically to gain some of that expertise. I enjoy reading Oak's monthly articles, but I tend to be more of an on-line, help me right now guy. Sadly now, Oak has passed. Scott adds his 2 cents, of course. But still, I'm straining my eyes to find all this expertise.

I owned an R60/6 back in the 80's. My "new" R100RT has been with me ~26 months. If I'm one of the "experts" you're referring to, then this Club is in trouble !!

:)

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
2 years 3 months ago #2020 by Bret
Replied by Bret on topic Increase membership
Wobbly you and 8053 helped me decide what bike to get. You said R100RS and RT were basically the same bike. 8053 gave some info on a K handlebar that when cut off a little at both ends would work on an RS and afford a more upright position.

You guys made up my mind to get either one and modify as needed. I had debated this for over a year. Thanks a lot. Everyone has at least one tidbit of info that someone can find useful. I had debated this for over a year.

I will never give up my 77 Yamaha XS 650 bar hopper but that thing will beat you to death on a long ride. Liked the R100RS when it first came out but very expensive and did not fit my crotch rocket addiction at the time. Airhead is the perfect touring bike for me. Gold Wings and other behemoths are more tractor/trailer rig. Everyone has at least one tidbit of info that someone can find useful. Just got my first Airmail today and will read it right now.

Moderators: 14652
Time to create page: 1.316 seconds