HID Lights for the BMW R100GS
One of the upgrades I made while rebuilding the R100GS after the wreck was to install a pair of High Intensity Discharge (HID) driving lamps. I don't do a lot of riding at night, but when I do it's usually out in the boondocks where there's little traffic and lots of deer. More light makes sense in that situation, and with the recent availability of the HID light systems, and their low current draw, it didn't take long to justify the purchase. I shopped around a bit before coming across MicaTech who sold both a pencil beam and a wider driving beam lamp. MicaTech is now under new ownership and no longer carries the lamps, but Farklemasters carries the pencil beam. These work so well I decided to use a pair of them on the R1200GS when it came time to upgrade the lighting on it. After you get over the price of the lamps themselves (about $300 each) the biggest challenge is where to mount the ballasts, and how to mount the lamps. The R100GS is no exception, as there's already a lot going on under the fuel tank, what with dual ignition coils and the factory relays and regulators. As shown above, my solution to the ballast problem was to use the spot formerly occupied by the factory ignition coil, and substitute in its place an aluminum bracket upon which is mounted the two ballasts and a hand full of relays. The bracket picks up three brackets on the main spine of the frame, and uses a short boss to provide a standoff for the lower mounting point (that's the circular feature in the middle of the photo below).
The hardest part in mounting the ballasts was locating the mounting holes. I got around that one by making up some threaded pins with a ground point on one end that I could use to locate the center of the mounting hole on the bracket.
Working slowly, and marking and drilling one hole at a time, I was able to get pretty good alignment and mount the ballasts very close to each other.
When all the drilling was done I welded on the stand off boss and the cross member that would be used for relay mounting. I also removed the brackets that came with the ballasts, relying on the mounting bolts I provided to keep the ballasts closed.
Next challenge was providing power to the lamps. I planned a number of electrical upgrades to the bike, more than would be convenient with the factory fuse blocks. Aerostich offers a fuse panel from Centech, and I found a place