FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Monoshock Drive Shaft Snap Ring NLA

Scot Marburger
(@8166)
Member Moderator

I'm refurbishing/replacing a drive shaft out of a monoshock R80 G/S and would prefer replacing the snap ring with a new one. My local dealer says they're NLA from BMW, but I'm hoping someone knows the size so that I can obtain a suitable replacement from a metric fastener seller. Any ideas? BMW part number is 26111237189.

This all started when I felt bad juju vibrations between my feet under acceleration. Once the drive shaft was out of the bike, I detected a tiny amount of play in the trunnion. This particular drive shaft was rebuilt by Service Industry sometime in the early 2000s, but only saw about 3000 miles before the problem. World's longest R80 G/S rebuild. But that's a whole 'nuther story. An R100GS drive shaft rebuilt at the same time by the same company failed much more spectacularly. So I think for now, I'm just going to replace the drive shaft with a new OEM part. I've found one vendor that offers a lifetime guarantee on their parts...

Topic starter Posted : 07/22/2021 10:49
Richard Whatley
(@wobbly)
Member Moderator

1. Measure the nominal shaft diameter (not the groove diameter) and get your answer in MM.

2. Then proceed to THIS PLACE. Scroll down the size box until you get past the circlips in Inches and the Metric sizes will appear. 

3. Choose your diameter, and all the possible choices of styles will show up.

Hope this helps.

[color=blue]Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
#15150[/color]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/23/2021 13:52
Scot Marburger
(@8166)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @wobbly 2. Then proceed to THIS PLACE. Scroll down the size box until you get past the circlips in Inches and the Metric sizes will appear. 

McMaster-Carr didn't have it.

Dimensions:
Wire diameter - 2.00 mm
Free diameter of old ring - 23.67 to 24.89 mm
OD of groove in drive shaft - 20.30 mm
Width of groove in drive shaft - 2.5 mm

I was able to find it at rotorclip.com
https://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/crs.pdf
Their CRS-22 has the following dimensions:
Wire diameter - 2.00 mm
Free diameter - 19.7 mm
OD of groove - 20.0 mm
Width of groove - 2.2 mm

They have a sample program, and I requested 6 ea. on 7/23/2021.

They said they were out of stock, so I'll just reuse the old one.

Decided to just replace the drive shaft with a new one, and now I can't figure out how to get the circlip back on the end. I've got a spring compressor set up so there's plenty of drive shaft sticking up above the shouldered washer, but how do you get the ends of the circlip spread far enough apart to get it over the end of the shaft?

Would regular circlip pliers work on a hole-less circlip?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/31/2021 15:30

Advertisement

Scroll to top