Cable lube

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
John Marchant
(@15235)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Ref: https://www.airheads.org/kunena/my-airhead-needs-help/139-r100gs-automatic-advance-lubricant?start=6#840

This is a follow up on the referenced post. In that post, @Wobbly queried whether or not I had lubed the throttle cables. I remarked that I had seen several references (including Snowbum's) to "lined' cables being the norm these days.

Now I'm in possession of BMW cables and was about to get started on the project. Out comes the trusty Clymer's Manual (R50/5 through R100GS PD) and a bit of reading before getting started. I note that in the "cable replacement" portion of the manual (Page 364, para 10.) Clymer's refers to section 3 and remarks that the new cables should be lubricated. The part numbers for the cables are 32 73 1 454 584 and 585. There is no evidence that these cables are lined - unlike the clutch cable where you can clearly see a bit of plastic liner projecting out of the transmission end of the cable assembly. I have called the parts counter at my local BMW shop and the parts guy has no idea.

I'm thinking that; seeing as these are original equipment cables, purchased recently, that I should be paying attention to Snowbum's remarks that these cables do not require lubrication. I have a cable lube device in my toolkit, however, I'll wait on the collective wisdom before doing anything. Here's the direct quote from Snowbum's website

- "5. Lubricating BMW cables....lubrication attracts abrasive dirt and may swell the liner (a nylon-like material). Only the very earliest original-as-shipped /5 cables were not lined." (italics are mine)

That seems to pretty definitive, but worth checking.

Common sense isn't very common, any more.

Posted : 08/23/2016 15:39

Advertisement

Scroll to top