Clear all

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Eric Lonergan
(@r905)
Topic starter

Hello.

I seldom introduce myself in "New Member" posts, but I thought I should just drop a word or two in case I lose control and start answering members' questions.

I'm a long-time airhead rider, from before the days when there were any other kinds of heads.
I put my current /5 together from parts around 1992 and it's been through several iterations since then.
Throughout the '90s and into the early 2000s I commuted through Brooklyn and Manhattan every day that it was above freezing or not actively pouring rain, mostly because the bike would get me through traffic and allow me to park.

After that "life changes" forced me to put the bike aside for all but occasional riding (moves, inconvenient storage, a job where in the middle of summer the temperature was never out of the 40s during my early morning and late night commute times). I'm finally "getting back into it" as we used to hear the old guys say, and thought I should bite the bullet and shell out a few bucks, as my once-mundane ride has become a collectible rarity, and riders are now a "specialized" group.

Back in the day, I was in the MOA (I let the subscription slip to my ol' man, who got into restoring pre-1970 BMWs) and the RA (I quit when they lost their mojo), and didn't see the point of joining the ABC when it was founded, as every worthwhile bike was obviously an Airhead, and there wasn't much else to say about it.

In the world of the interwebs, I am also a 20,000+ post member of a car site, and had to quit cold turkey as it was taking up too much of my life, so I am not unfamiliar with these sorts of boards and how they operate.

So... I like to ride, I used to know my way around an airhead inside and out (we'll see how much comes back...), and I thought I should get with a few similarly minded folks.

Thanks for providing an opportunity for people to get together.

- Eric

ps: does anyone remember a little fiction piece in OTL in which the author, pondering the not-yet-introduced "Classic" series, spins a barroom tale of kickstarting an idealized new 1200cc BMW? It was funny as hell. I've wanted to re-read it for years, but have never found a copy.

Posted : 03/27/2020 21:11

Advertisement

Scroll to top