Clear all

New to Airheads

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

Hello from Bainbridge Island, near Seattle. Just a quick note of introduction as I've just joined airheads.org.

I retired a few years ago and moved from Austin, TX to the Pacific Northwest. I currently have a BMW K1600GTL, recently traded in my BMW R1200R LC.
I am looking to get a vintage BMW to play with. I'm currently thinking a R90S. I'll be looking for advice on this particular motorcycle as I've never had one. I have some mechanical skill, from working on Volvos and Volkswagons of the 60's and 70's and doing the routine maintenance on my R12R and K16. I have garage space and a pretty good assortment of tools. Since I'm retired I also have some time to commit to learning and developing the skill set. Since I already have a daily rider, I'm open to reviving a barn find or getting a bike that's already in good shape or something in between. I'm not contemplating making a show bike, but I want to eventually have a nice classy vintage motorcycle to enjoy riding on the dry sunny days.

Cheers,

Charlie

Posted : 01/09/2019 00:27
Mark Board
(@14570)

Hello Charlie,

Welcome to the Airhead world. Keep looking for the R90S, but also consider any reasonably sound /5 or /6.

I have a 1976 R90S and also just landed a 1973 R75/5 Toaster. I really like the clean look of the /5's headlight nacelle with integral instrument speedometer and I like the double leading shoe drum brake better than the 90S's disc brake (with master cylinder under the tank.). I like having a kick starter too.

Keep us posted on your pursuit.

Mark
Savannah, GA

Posted : 01/15/2019 14:55
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

I'm sort of concentrating on R90S because it's such an iconic model, but I am also considering others, such as R90/6 or R100 or some of the other /5 or /6 models. I think I'll know it when the right one comes along.

Meanwhile, I'm open to suggestions on books and such resources that will help me get more familiar with the mechanical and cosmetic restoration issues, as well as the various /S /5 /6 etc. models. I ran across the Ian Falloon Motorcycle Collector Series book on the R90S. Nice, but with the cost of it being over $300 it'll have to wait.

Posted : 01/15/2019 19:05
Terrance Martin
(@terry)

I’m a new kid on the block. I live in Milwaukie, Oregon during the good months then off to Costa Rica for the winter. I purchased this 1992 R100GS in Costa Rica last August. This winter I brought some upgrades with me and have been busy dialing it in and gaining confidence in it that I won’t have to walk home. I had the leaky Öhlins shock rebuilt, added stock side luggage racks with Rigg Gear dry saddlebags, and installed a aftermarket side stand fabricated by Jerry Weissert in Oregon. When I purchased the bike it only had the center stand. I’m waiting for a new Odyssey battery that is being shipped from Panama. I just returned from a 600 mile ride from The Central Valley to the Panama Frontier. Elevation on the ride was from sea level to almost 11,000 feet. The bike ran great and I’m very happy with the nimbleness and comfort of it. A couple of years ago I rode a 1150GS from Oregon to here and back. I find the gearing on this one to be suitable for my riding conditions. The only complaint would be that the brakes are somewhat marginal. I’m happy!

Posted : 01/26/2019 23:33

Advertisement

Scroll to top