Post a Picture of your Airheads

329 Posts
114 Users
39 Likes
182.3 K Views
Steve Wike
(@steevo)
Trusted Member

Yesterday I dis-assembled much of the front end (again) so that I could install fork boots (gaiters?)

Before:

After:

Posted : 11/19/2016 16:59
Paul Nevin
(@14385)

1978 R 100S with Heinrich tank, braced swing arm, balanced flywheel, and many other special bits.

Posted : 11/19/2016 23:11
Paul Nevin
(@14385)

Interesting to see your tank appears to fit without modifying the seat. I have a 7 gallon Heinrich tank on my 1978 R 100S but I needed to cut several inches off the front of the seat in order to preserve the ability to open the seat with the tank in place.

The fairing is fantastic- are they still available ? Did it come with brackets or did you have to make your own mounting hardware?

Posted : 11/19/2016 23:22
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

for me,

I'd love to mount my 10gal heinrick on my R90 ...... BUT the seat won't open.

i have 4 seats, a stock seat which I will never ever sit on again, a corbin, a rick mayer which is fine and my new seat I refurbished is a Russell Day long.

i guess I'll resign myself to adding a reserve aux tank as a tail dragger and sell my 10gal

Posted : 11/20/2016 02:16
Frank Pons
(@8594)

[attachment:1]image.jpg[/

The 1970's vintage Avon Lynx full fairing seems to be quite rare for a BMW. I've been looking for another one for some time now with no luck. The mounting hardware came with the fairing and it incorporates the crash bars. The seat is a stock 1974 R90S seat and cowl. No seat modifications were made to get the Heinrich tank to fit. I will submit a few more pics of the bike.

Posted : 11/20/2016 04:09
Paul Nevin
(@14385)

I use the stock seat with my Heinrich tank- I cut off the first 3 inches and then had an upholstery shop stitch the seat cover closed. The seat works on its hinges just fine. Some people use handlebar pullback extensions w/ the tank, since you are sitting further back.

Posted : 11/20/2016 12:28
Paul Nevin
(@14385)

I use the stock seat with my Heinrich tank- I cut off the first 3 inches and then had an upholstery shop stitch the seat cover closed. The seat works on its hinges just fine. Some people use handlebar pullback extensions w/ the tank, since you are sitting further back.

I found the fairing: FlatRacer.com, in the U.K. makes a variety of touring/cafe racer style full fairings, and other interesting bits for BMW...

Posted : 11/20/2016 12:31
Frank Pons
(@8594)

Flat Racer has some great body pieces for BMW's. My son just completed this Honda 750 cafe racer and is now working on re-assembling a wrecked 1976 BMW R90/6 from boxes of parts. I've also included another pic of my R90S that shows some of the framework and Avon fairing structure.

Posted : 11/20/2016 13:56
Anthony Lonigro
(@14652)
Eminent Member

You can modify your stock seat to work with a Heinrich tank; remove the hinges and use the "lift off" method.

Antny

Posted : 11/20/2016 14:40
Anthony Lonigro
(@14652)
Eminent Member

You can modify your stock seat to work with a Heinrich tank; remove the hinges and use the "lift off" method.

Antny

Posted : 11/20/2016 14:43
Doug Smith
(@1992_1599590944)
Eminent Member

I found the fairing: FlatRacer.com, in the U.K. makes a variety of touring/cafe racer style full fairings, and other interesting bits for BMW...

Years back I was assembling my sidecar rig and looking for donor bikes for parts.....found this one and bought it "sight unseen" via Internet for $100.00....about 350 miles away. Made a fast run over to pick the derelict up on a weekend. The seller simply grabbed the $100.00 through a crack in the door and said, "It's out back, get it out of here. I've been mowing around it for 2 years".
I wasn't familiar with non stock BMW tanks but was happy to see the old primered behemoth as I needed additional fuel capacity for the sidecar project. Had to source a tool box cover / fuel cap but eventually found them. Did not realize what the old tanks were worth until I did some research. It cleaned up well and still lives on the sidehack.

Posted : 11/20/2016 14:48
Doug Smith
(@1992_1599590944)
Eminent Member

Years back I was assembling my sidecar rig and looking for donor bikes for parts.....found this one and bought it "sight unseen" via Internet for $100.00....about 350 miles away. Made a fast run over to pick the derelict up on a weekend. The seller simply grabbed the $100.00 through a crack in the door and said, "It's out back, get it out of here. I've been mowing around it for 2 years".
I wasn't familiar with non stock BMW tanks but was happy to see the old primered behemoth as I needed additional fuel capacity for the sidecar project. Had to source a tool box cover / lock set / fuel cap but eventually found them. Did not realize what the old tanks were worth until I did some research. It cleaned up well and still lives on the sidehack. Seat opening not an issue with the solo seat and tank tool box.

Posted : 11/20/2016 14:52
Michael Appel
(@maps)

Hey all, just joined the group after getting my first Airhead a couple weeks ago! My first moto was an 82 Honda Ascot. After a break I had the new CRF250L to mess around locally, and most recently went touring to Newfoundland on a Wee Strom (DL-650A). I spent most of this summer, though, looking for an air-cooled BMW that I could work on as a project bike. I'd like to learn more mechanical skills, and possibly how to restore and maintain classic bikes.

So, this is my 1986 R80RT with almost 100K miles! I didn't know what to expect of the ride after researching Airheads, but after the ride home I was in love. This bike is amazing! Twice I was beat to the punch on Craigslist, and I considered getting another old Honda. But I'm super glad I stuck it out and drove an hour away to get one. It is definitely worth it.

It's already been stripped down to a naked bike, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it that way. I'd like to be able to return it to stock, with fairing and all, but that could be resource prohibitive. So far I've replaced choke and throttle cables, changed a leaky petcock, removed various accessories, and upgraded to some led turn signals and tail light bulbs. LEDs aren't exactly original, but a good lighting upgrade that's invisible when the bike is off and fairly unobtrusive when running.

Looking forward to working on it this winter, and riding all over the place in the spring!

Posted : 11/20/2016 19:17
Frank Pons
(@8594)

A couple of 'airhead' riders!

Posted : 11/20/2016 20:50
Dan Muir
(@11949)

Man, those two bikes sure are pretty . . . . :whistle:

Thanks, nice photo. And the girls are kinda cute too . . . .

Posted : 11/20/2016 22:16
Page 8 / 22

Advertisement

Scroll to top