FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Need BMW Airhead OEM 12V accessory outlet photo.

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm installing an OEM BMW 12V outlet, mounting bracket, and wiring harness(see attachment) on my 1980 BMW R100T.

What I need is a photo of exactly where and how the bracket mounts on the frame.
This accessory must be rare. I have yet to find any Airhead photos of a bike with this accessory installed.

I think I know where it goes, but I just want to be sure, and do it right.

(My photo courtesy of MAXBMW's website.)

Thank for any assistance.

Posted : 06/03/2019 01:37
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

........... I think the photo does not show the U clamp and 2 nuts,

this usually mounts at the diagonal rear frame tube by / under / below the side cover. left side. it's usually too LOW for my liking as designed. a heated gear cord could e too long, Not long enough, drag by your boot, drag into the rear wheel if not careful.

personally I do not like powerlet sockets. I'm a 2 prong trailer plug weather proof type and have 3 mounted on my R90SRS. I make the corresponding plug into a have dozen different adapters to connect to my tan bag harness, any harness i have for the rear panniers, any type of heated gear / or having an adapter for a COAX type 'N' plug for other type heating gear. i installed my covered outlets up high where I can get to them easily.

Posted : 06/03/2019 02:38
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Harry, thanks for your reply.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm restoring my bike and trying to keep it somewhat stock. I'll probably rarely use the outlet except to trickle-charge my battery.

Would love to see a photo of the bracket mounted on a frame.

Posted : 06/03/2019 03:21
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

It's been a long journey, but I received a dark, blurry photo this morning that I was able to enhance in Photoshop and figure out exactly where the mounting bracket goes.

I mounted the bracket this morning. Here's a photo in case anyone else needs to know in the future.
With the BMW angled bracket, it makes a nice clean install. FYI, that's a flip-up weather cap covering the socket.

Posted : 06/04/2019 18:42

Advertisement

Scroll to top