Foot rest on Cylinder Guards

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
11.4 K Views
Jim Hester
(@hesterx6)
Topic starter

Was wondering what anyone has used to get a foot rest on the crash guards for a 1991 R100RT

Thanks ,
Jim Hester

Posted : 07/21/2016 18:55
Jim Hester
(@hesterx6)
Topic starter

Agreed on where your feet should be, however on long rides I find I need to shift my weight around to ease to pressure on my hind end. What would you like for your pegs? I do not know what they are worth but I'll start at $40.
Thanks for your advice.
Jim Hester

Posted : 07/22/2016 21:06
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Agree with Scot, however, there are times when I feel the need to shift my legs around on long-ish rides. With crash bars that are horizontal, I sometimes rest my heels on the crash bars. Other options are to rest your boot on the valve cover itself, or to hang a heel on the passenger foot peg if riding solo. Usually for never more than a minute or two and never when I'm in traffic.
It is important to consider the fact that being locked in a seated position for a long period of time can contribute to a condition known as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). Personally, I have Spinal Stenosis which manifests as Sciatica. I often wish I had a foot rest to stretch my legs out when in the saddle for more than an hour.
I do not subscribe to very many aftermarket type accessories. There is an argument that crash bars are not a great idea since the cylinders themselves do the same job as add-on protection bars.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 07/24/2016 09:20
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

I would kill for a Russell for either of my bikes. My 750 has the original saddle, which is O.K., and I have an E-Z berg for it as well. My mono-shock RS came with a Corbin. I just can't get used to that one.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 07/24/2016 10:50
Sid Cranston
(@bmwsid)

I am with you guys on needing to find an additional place to put my feet, if only for a short time. Stretching out IS a temporary condition for me too, because of the already stated fact that the controls are not readily accessible from there. I started welding aluminum in 1969, so I welded something like an ear, for lack of a more descriptive term, on the front, but outer side of the valve covers. It is just enough to keep my leg from sliding off, and is not uncomfortable, long as I have hi-topped boots on. The back of my lower calf rests there, but I still never ride that way for long, for the reasons already stated. They have been on there for about 10 years now, I would guess. Had them powder coated before I put them back on the bike.

Posted : 07/28/2016 01:43

Advertisement

Scroll to top