Original wheels on 1976 R90S

17 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
12.8 K Views
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

I'm looking at purchasing a 1976 R90S. The seller tells me that it is all original, including the wheels which are not wire spokes. Were the wheels shown in the photo an available option for R90S in 1976? I'm very far away, so I can't inspect the bike myself but I probably wouldn't be able to say anyway.

On a related note, the asking price is $12,000 which seems like a lot even if the bike is all original with matching numbers and in very good condition. It's not a show bike, appears to be in very good condition by the photos, but I haven't seen or heard it run. It has 30K miles showing, can't say if the odometer works. I'll have to get somebody local to do a pre-purchase check out for me.

Posted : 01/08/2019 21:32
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Those are NOT original wheels, but rather period correct Lester brand wheels. The OEM wheel was aluminum rims laced with wire spokes.

The Lesters, while not original, were a costly upgrade which was usually installed because they 1) never needed truing, and 2) allowed the use of tubeless tires. Since most tires come as tubeless anyway, and since tires without tubes generally get higher mileage and allow flat repair while the wheel is still on the bike, Lesters are generally considered a "good thing" by those who actually ride.

Not original enough for a concours show, but still eligible for "2 thumbs up".

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/09/2019 17:23
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

That information is very much appreciated.

Posted : 01/09/2019 17:38
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

The seat looks like a Corbin to my eyes. I've owned at least one. I didn't like it much. It's not original.

The Lester wheels are a plus, not that there is anything wrong with spokes.

I was involved in a restoration project on an all original R90S that was raffled by the BMWMOA Foundation about 10 years ago. Everything on that bike was restored except the original paint which was very nice, but not perfect. The bike had 155,000 miles when we started the project and had been in a flood. There was a "high water mark" on the inside of the front motor cover.

The winner of the raffle owned it for 3 or 4 years and then put it up for sale on IBMWR. His asking price at that time was $7800.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 01/10/2019 08:40
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

I thought the seat didn't look original, with the white piping. All I have is the photos and what the seller says. It is hard, at least for me, to determine fair value of a vintage motorcycle. All I see are asking priced for maybe 8 or 10 R90S that are listed online around the country.

FWIW I found a Hagerty valuation report for 1975 R90S with the following (in USD):
Concours $15,000
Excellent $12,000
Good $9,000
Fair $6,000

I'm thinking this bike may be someplace on the high side of good. But impossible to say without having somebody check it out in person. Condition is everything. There are a few nicks in the paint, but it may well be original and is generally good color and even shiny. Not a barn find by any stretch. I am considering paying for a pre-purchase inspection at a BMW dealership, if the seller is willing to take it in.

Posted : 01/10/2019 14:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I am considering paying for a pre-purchase inspection at a BMW dealership, if the seller is willing to take it in.

The problem is that you'll be hard pressed to find a BMW dealership that knows what they're looking at. Most of the mechanics weren't even born when the last Airhead was made. And you can forget about finding someone who worked on them, back in the day.

If you are that concerned, I have a pal that has an all-original, 2-owner, orange R90S for less than $10K. He rides it to the Gathering of the Clans in NC each June. You could see it/ride it there, and have ~15 Air Marshals go over it with you for free. And it has the correct wheels. 🙂

Posted : 01/10/2019 18:13
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

Wobbly, I'd be interested in getting in touch with your buddy with the R90S. If you would pass along to him my contact info, I'd appreciate it.

I live near Seattle, so I might not make the gathering in NC; but it sounds like fun!

Posted : 01/10/2019 20:32
Patrick Fix
(@pfix)

I'd have someone look closely at the paint.
Just my opinion of course but something doesn't look quite correct on the fading on the tank. However, it is difficult to tell with the limited pictures.

Posted : 01/11/2019 12:24
Patrick Fix
(@pfix)

If you are that concerned, I have a pal that has an all-original, 2-owner, orange R90S for less than $10K. He rides it to the Gathering of the Clans in NC each June. You could see it/ride it there, and have ~15 Air Marshals go over it with you for free. And it has the correct wheels.

Wobbly,
Not to get into someone else's post but i would also have interest in talking to your buddy with the DO 90S.

Posted : 01/11/2019 12:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Charlie & Pfix -
Apologies. Even as a Moderator, I can't see anyone's contact info. You'll need to post an email or phone number for me to pass along.

All the best.

Posted : 01/11/2019 19:54
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

My direct email is charliemayne1@gmail.com

Thanks,

Charlie

Posted : 01/11/2019 20:11
Charlie Mayne
(@charlie)
Topic starter

Here are some more photos. It is an interesting bike for sure.

Posted : 01/11/2019 20:18
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

I'd have someone look closely at the paint.
Just my opinion of course but something doesn't look quite correct on the fading on the tank. However, it is difficult to tell with the limited pictures.

The truth of the matter is; no 2 are alike. Holt BMW in Ohio does the top line paint work, maybe the very best. One would be be hard pressed to tell if their work was not OEM.

These things were hand painted. Consider the possibilities. Day to day, hour to hour....

A "less than perfect" re-paint would be obvious to some one who has seen more than a few originals.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 01/11/2019 22:21
Patrick Fix
(@pfix)

Wobbly,
My email: pwfix@ymail.com

Posted : 01/11/2019 22:49
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Charlie & Pfix -
My friend sent emails today to the addresses you both supplied (now deleted). If you don't see new email, then look in your Spam folder for something with the title of "R90S".

Posted : 01/12/2019 21:13
Page 1 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top