Clear all

R100/7 oil filters

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Thomas Moore
(@thdomo)
Topic starter

OK, so I need some help. It is VERY unclear to me what I need to get and do when it comes to an oil filter for my R100/7.

I have read snowbum's articles. Now clearly, the guy knows his shit. But I have to say, every time i read one of his articles I am more confused.

I am thinking of ordering the filter kit from beemershop then, when I take the old one out, looking at how it was installed and copying that.

Posted : 12/02/2016 03:18
Konrad Hittner
(@13561)

I don't know as much as Snowbum, but your /7 (pre-'81, right?) is "pre-$XXXX-O-ring". No shims, no measuring your canister depth, no OE oil cooler with thermostat bolts malarkey, not any of that. Your strategy is fine; tell Ted Porter what you have, and he'll send you the right filter kit.

Posted : 12/02/2016 12:22
Thomas Moore
(@thdomo)
Topic starter

Thanks. Ya it's a 77.

Posted : 12/02/2016 12:32
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

If you order an oil filter, and specify oil cooler or non- oil cooler, you will get everything you need in the kit. You may not need or use some of the parts included. Be advised that one of our IL airheads has a 1977 R75/7 that has the combination oil filter cover with the dreaded $2000 O-ring. It is my understanding that all /7's are that way. If your motor needs the large white O-ring, be sure to use the new one every time.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 12/30/2016 13:33
Jerome Duletzke
(@14210_1599594163)

Don't depend on previous owner to have installed the right filter or shims. Use a vernier caliper, cheap at harbor freight, depth gage on the straight end of most vernier calipers. Read Anton Langiers (sp?) internet post on how many shims to use to compress the white oring properly.
After pullling the old filter shine a light down to bottom of canister and make sure the little round ball looks seated, its the high pressure blow off for very cold oil.
Call experienced supplier, like porter to get the right filter for your bike.
patience and research, do it right the first time or find an experienced airhead mechanic.
good luck.

Posted : 01/07/2017 16:08

Advertisement

Scroll to top