Clear all

Sidestand for R100GS?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Gerry Brimacombe
(@gerrybrim)
Topic starter

Hello Airheads! thanks to the great event at Midway, BC, a) I am now a member, and b) I have bought a 1989 R100GS bumblebee.
I don't much like the stock sidestand, but am having trouble finding an improvement. One websearch referred me back here with a reference to "Schneider's". Can you help?
Thanks,
Gerry in BC.

Posted : 06/27/2016 19:54
Duane Wilding
(@14489)

I put one of the Flying T-pots ones on my 89 GS and love it. I did not like the OEM stand. Here is link:
http://www.flyingtpot.com/sidestands.htm
Good luck

Posted : 07/04/2016 17:54
Steve Ueckert
(@14653)

I've been watching his site for more than a year, it seems Flying Tpot is out of the Paralever side stand business. He hinted for many months that he might again offer them, but as of last week, it seems that won't happen.

I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger for a Migsel replacement side stand for my R100R (also a Paralever Airhead) a couple days ago. It has to come from Europe (Belgium I think) so I can't report first hand on installation or use. It looks pretty good, though, especially the adjustable height (lean angle). When I first began looking for a replacement side stand, the Migsel was ~$320 given the dollar to euro exchange. Fortunately now it is just about $300 with a more favorable exchange rate.

Posted : 10/24/2016 12:02
John Marchant
(@15235)
Eminent Member

I've not had any trouble with my stock sidestand (1990 R100GS) - except that it is very difficult to deploy while sitting in the saddle. It is way too far forward, under the LHS cylinder and my lower leg doesn't have enough joints (only one ankle on that side). I wind up having to wiggle my foot around to get it as far forward as possible, then lean a bit of the bike's weight on it and push backwards. That gets it firmly planted and far enough forward to trust the bike will lean on it.

I'm afraid I'm getting a bit too old to hop off and deploy it from beside the bike with the panniers installed. It's OK with the panniers at home but that sort of defeats the purpose of having them.

I've given some thought to adding a piece (like weld on an additional piece of tubing with a pad on the end) to the back of the stand (top when retracted) that will allow me to get a foot on it and push it down and forwards. There's just not very much room in the retracted position for the concept.

I think the teapot one is mounted further aft and might be easier to deploy. Be nice if we could purchase one.

EDIT: Oops - sorry, missed the point here. I looked at the Migsel unit - that will do just fine. I'll just have to sell the house to afford it. I'm in Canada, so the Euro/$ exchange is frightening. $364 CAD as of today.

Common sense isn't very common, any more.

Posted : 10/27/2016 16:50

Advertisement

Scroll to top