Stuck on sidestand replacement or fix 82 R100RS

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
18.6 K Views
Jim Donohue
(@12634)
Topic starter

I'm debating on whether to replace my original R100RS sidestand with either a Brown or Sure Foot stand. Or fix my original "improved" stand as it is loose in the frame bracket. I looked at the fiche and a picture of the improved side stand parts and there seems to be parts that are not available; not listed on the fiche. I circled them below. Do these come with a new bushing? Also, I have a Reynolds center stand so I'm learning toward the Sure Foot if I go aftermarket.

Posted : 03/06/2016 22:22
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

Home Made for my 1974 R90SRS this connect to the frame in 2 ways
many use either a surfoot, farley or brown

Posted : 03/18/2016 18:22
Marty Mitchell
(@14319)

After finding the oem side stand on my 84 RS wasn't usable I decided to go with a Browns. Perfect fit and easy to install.
It fits and works great. Check out Max BMW has a good price on it.
Marty

Posted : 03/18/2016 23:23
Jim Donohue
(@12634)
Topic starter

Maybe I'll go with the Brown stand and buy the spacers to re-fit stock center stand. It is just money right? If it doesn't work out, then I can go another direction...Cheers. BTW I put an expansion chamber on my P200e....

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :silly:

Posted : 03/19/2016 00:14
Lee Dickinson
(@3480)

I don't see any way to PM someone on this forum, but I have a new Brown side stand that I would sell for a bit of a discount on the new price. The hot trick with the Brown is to use a pair of brackets intended for the GS crash bar to make a support attachment to the frame instead of to the exhaust header. Much steadier. The BMW part numbers for the brackets are 46 71 2 302 079 and 46 71 2 302 080. I have the GS brackets as well.

Unreconstructed Southerner living in occupied Georgia.

Posted : 03/20/2016 19:33
Jim Donohue
(@12634)
Topic starter

Thanks for all the advice.

Mr. 3840 (sorry I don't know your name),

It'll bolt up to a r100rs with the GS brackets? I haven't pulled the trigger on a Brown stand yet. I'm calling our local BMW tomorrow for the stock bushing. I hope it'll get me through the summer if it is a viable fix.

-jim

Posted : 03/22/2016 23:48
Lee Dickinson
(@3480)

Thanks for all the advice.

Mr. 3840 (sorry I don't know your name),

It'll bolt up to a r100rs with the GS brackets? I haven't pulled the trigger on a Brown stand yet. I'm calling our local BMW tomorrow for the stock bushing. I hope it'll get me through the summer if it is a viable fix.

-jim

Well, it's 3480, but the name is Lee Dickinson aka beemerphile everywhere else.

As long as it is a twin shock bike, it will essentially bolt up. From my memory, you may need to find a longer bolt. Clamping to the exhaust header is ridiculous. The clamps I mentioned are sized to the frame rail for bolting on the crash bars. I think the same clamps are used on the monolever RS and RT crash bars.

Posted : 03/23/2016 08:09
Jim Donohue
(@12634)
Topic starter

Mr. Dickinson,

My side stand is beyond repair. The stand "U" bracket is quite wide and the frame tab is a little bit worn; too much of a gamble for a quick fix.

I wish we had a PM option or an online dAirectory (am I looking in the wrong place?) I'm reluctant to post an email or phone number for obvious reasons. Cheers.

Posted : 03/24/2016 23:43
Lee Dickinson
(@3480)

Try me at beemerphile at nym dot hush dot com

Posted : 03/25/2016 07:50
Jim Donohue
(@12634)
Topic starter

I wish we had a PM option or an online dAirectory (am I looking in the wrong place?)

This forum software (that the OTHER webmeister chose 😆 ) doesn't support PMs. But you'll find the online version of the dAIRectory under the AirLore menu.

Apparently I'm not authorized to view that resource (dAIRectory) even though I've opted for both web and paper versions. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I installed a Surefoot stand. Seems to lean a bit much but it worked out fine on my >2k in 5 days round trip to the AZ camp out. Good times!

Posted : 04/13/2016 21:38
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

brown side stand ........ Vech @ Bench mark works
http://www.benchmarkworks.com

Posted : 04/14/2016 13:18
Jim Donohue
(@12634)
Topic starter

Apparently I'm not authorized to view that resource (dAIRectory) even though I've opted for both web and paper versions. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I installed a Surefoot stand. Seems to lean a bit much but it worked out fine on my >2k in 5 days round trip to the AZ camp out. Good times!

You need to be logged in to the ABC web site to see the dAIRectory. Please make sure you're logged in and try again. If the problem persists, please send an email to webmaster@airheads.org and include your ABC membership number and a brief summary of the issue and we'll get you goin' again.

Ok thank you. Linux is my operating system and I use Google Chromium (Linux version of Chrome) as my browser...I'm logged in, but still can't see the dAIRectory. Might be a compatibility thing.

I have older computer hardware, hence the Linux. I have older motorcycles and scooters. I like to keep all my old stuff running. ;0

Posted : 04/18/2016 22:35

Advertisement

Scroll to top