Clear all

GPS on R90 S?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Bob Matheson
(@dogcow)
Topic starter

I'm a new member from Vancouver, Canada. I have been riding BMW's for 38 years and am the proud owner of a 1969 R60 US and a 1974 R90 S. I'm wondering if anyone has installed a GPS mount on a R90 S? Something of a decent size like a Garmin Zumo or similar. The cockpit is tight and no obvious places for it to fit. I know, I know, these old bikes weren't meant for GPS's, but interested to know if anyone has tried. A picture would be great. Thanks.

Posted : 04/15/2016 17:15
Alan Coles
(@14457)

Can't give you a photo of my setup (the bike is still in off-site storage, but I use a thin Rammount Handlebar mount and an extension on my R90S for a Garmin 390.
Just go to their site and browse for them they've got a ton, or use their selector (I'd still browse afterwards, as not everything seems to come up in the selector).

Got to: http://www.rammount.com/activity/motorcycle_mounts

Then scroll down. The handlebar U-bolt base ones are the narrowest.

Posted : 04/16/2016 20:49
Bob Matheson
(@dogcow)
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply. I checked the website and there are indeed options. I also got a good recommendation from Bob Telfer at www.telferizer.com. Cheers.

Posted : 04/18/2016 02:26
Alan Coles
(@14457)

I've seen those before and couldn't remember where. I like them because they place the GPS squarely in the middle which accomplishes two things. First, it is in the centeer of your line of view requiring just a glance down from your instruments and second I like to mount as close to the center as possible to minimize the shifting of it GPS position (not a big deal, but I prefer it)..

Unfortunately, I think the steering damper on the R90S precludes using the Telferizer.

Posted : 04/18/2016 11:50
Jim Wilson
(@1559)
Estimable Member

On my RS as a mock up. My setup/ design / made in house. NO ram, don't like them. XM antenna mount, left hand use, It's very secure and won't walk away during the night.

Posted : 04/18/2016 23:13

Advertisement

Scroll to top