Watch the NoOx !

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Jason Nicks
(@jnicks01)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Not a question, but just a lesson learned I'd like to share.

Spent the good 1/2 of yesterday morning just doing some adjusting and maintenance on the R80/7. Cleaned up all the electrical contacts in the front cover and back to the coils including the relays. then some bolt tightening, lubing, etc. Now it was time to reconnect the negative cable. As soon as it touched the battery terminal the bike started to kick over. Funny, because the key was not in the ignition and the switch was in the off position.

I was not happy as this was a pretty basic task and there was NO way I could mess anything up.. :S Word to the wise. When using No Ox or any other corrosion preventer, use more sparingly then you think you already may be.

I didn't take me long to find the issue, but what had happened was the No Ox I threw on the tabs of the starter relay must have been excessive and I'm guessing created something of an electrical bridge between the female connections once plugged in. Wiped off the tabs, cleaned out the female plug, and wouldn't you know it. No starting without the key!! It was time to ride.

Posted : 07/23/2018 09:16

Advertisement

Scroll to top