FORUM

A request for Airma...

Notifications
Clear all

A request for Airmail content and introduction from the new Editor-in-Chief Chris Parker

10 Posts
5 Users
8 Likes
Chris Parker
(@18464)
Topic starter

Hello from Chris Parker, Editor-in-Chief of Airmail,

By now you will have received your February 2023 edition of Airmail. The March issue was handed off to the printer this past Wednesday, February 15th and I anticipate it arriving in your mailboxes in the next 7 to 10 days. I, and the contributors in this issue, hope you like what you see and read.

I would like to thank those that have sent stories and photographs for the March issue and what is shaping up for the April 2023 Airmail. From feature stories to Airhead events, that magazine only exists with what the club members send onto me.

You may have noticed a page increase over what has come before. The club's magazine is now a 32-page edition that allows for more content and also an emphasis on your photos (see below on sending in your photos and the requirements for print).

Additionally, a hearty thank you to all who have taken the time to email me your thoughts and comments on the new design and direction. Some of that very feedback has contributed to changes in this latest issue. In essence, the overarching goal is for the magazine to improve with your input and suggestions. The logical hierarchy of the magazine and structure was carefully crafted to make it something that you would want to read and contribute to. But it is not set in stone and will be adjusted as needed as the magazine evolves with your participation via feedback.

About sending in content to editor@airheads.org: any text file (Word doc, text file, InDesign, pdf, Pages, or inline email text I can receive). Photos that are under a file size of 25 MB are pretty safe to send on via email (jpg, png, heic, TIFF, PSD). If you have something bigger than that, a file sharing service (like the free WeTransfer.com) is great to use. About the photos: highest resolution possible, and if you have access to a DSLR or Mirrorless camera, those are best. But if you use a smartphone, any late model iPhone or Google / Droid will work. Just be sure to send in the highest version directly from your phone (on an iPhone, you will see a pop up that will say Small / Medium / Large / Actual Size. Always send actual size). Typical print-usable (300 dpi) images are at least 10 MB or larger.

The policy of the editorial team at Airmail is to take your content and run it pretty close to as received. Save for grammatical issues and some clarity needs, what you send in is what runs. Be aware though, that I am still processing through a slight backlog of content received so far and unless your item is time sensitive (an event listing, a classified item or an event wrap up), it may take several cycles for a feature story to appear.

And a little about myself. Some of you have guessed my other work through emails sent to me. I am the editor and designer of two other motorcycle magazines, the RA's On The Level and the MSTA's STAReview. I am a 23-year veteran motorcyclist, with over 500,000 miles covered on mainly BMWs and three Japanese bikes. I absolutely love combining my love of two wheels and my three decades as a designer, grinning while sitting in front of my monitor doing my dream job. Other work in the two wheel arena has been as a designer for RawHyde Adventures and several BMW motorcycle dealerships. My current rides are a 1998 BMW R 1100 GS and a 2013 Yamaha FJR 1300. But soon to add to the garage a future acquisition.

I really am looking forward to meeting more of you at future Airhead events, starting with David Woodburn’s Magsama-sama event in Georgia early May. Already at the past three RA National events (Woodstock, Virginia and twice in Waynesville, North Carolina) I have shaken hands with some club members.

In closing, please help me make the Airmail the best club magazine that it can be by participating in it. It is your magazine to share your ideas, stories, photos and events to other club members. It succeeds only when you have a say in it.

Thanks,

Chris Parker
editor@airheads.org

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Chris Parker

Posted : 02/18/2023 13:13
Joe Hall and Eric Zwicky reacted
Terry Baldwin
(@4339)

Do you own a Airhead?

Terry Baldwin #4339

Posted : 02/18/2023 16:05
Chris Parker
(@18464)
Topic starter

@4339

Terry,

There are two answers to your question:

1. Not as of yet, mainly because of physical space in the garage (I own two bikes currently, already mentioned). There is the distinct possibility of one down the road, with one in particular calling my name (I'm looking at you R100RS). Where it will fit will be the $64,000 question as I have already eaten up space with my latest addition, a 1988 Merkur XR4Ti and it's going to be tight.

2. The club hired my firm, Roadwolf Design, as an editor and art director, not as a member and as such, I am a contractor (1099). There is no requirement to own an Airhead to be hired for this position. I just so happens that I am an avid motorcyclist with a bent towards all things BMW Motorrad.

Hope that answers your question.

Chris

This post was modified 1 year ago by Chris Parker

Posted : 02/19/2023 17:17
Joe Hall reacted
Terry Baldwin
(@4339)

OK... Your the editor-in-chief...  I always thought to be a member of the AIRHEADS you had to have a AIRHEAD. I'm glad you straighten that out for me.  #4339

Posted : 02/20/2023 10:21
Edward Adams reacted
Eric Zwicky
(@13780)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @4339
OK... Your the editor-in-chief...  I always thought to be a member of the AIRHEADS you had to have a AIRHEAD. I'm glad you straighten that out for me.  #4339

Terry, you must not have read this part:

Posted by: @18464
The club hired my firm, Roadwolf Design, as an editor and art director, not as a member

Posted : 02/26/2023 09:07
Eric Zwicky
(@13780)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the introduction and request for input.   I like the new format (I liked the old one too but this is better), and I appreciate your open-ness to membership suggestions for improvement.    

Right now my only suggestion is to increase the size of some of the smaller ads.   It might be my 65-year-old eyes, but I find some of them hard to read.

Posted : 02/26/2023 09:36
Chris Parker
(@18464)
Topic starter

@13780 

Eric, thanks for the response. About the ads, those are getting adjusted as the ad contracts are getting sorted out. Glad you like the new Airmail and please consider contributing to it in a future issue.

Chris

Posted : 02/27/2023 12:34
Brian Culpepper
(@9421)

With the new digital format and target marketing to the growing bobber building community are there any royalty incentives for

ABC media/content contributions to the magazine?  This would have to appear before the BoD for an executive vote and 

final approval, but it may have already come up during the original contract negotiations with the BoD.  It would align with

industry standards, and would protect the IP rights of the non-voting members of the Airheads Beemer Club.  Just a thought...

best regards,

brian

ABC #9421

Posted : 02/28/2023 14:33
Edward Adams
(@rtpilot)
Trusted Member

@4339  That was my thought as well.  That magazine to be edited, run, and promoted by only Airheads members who own one. ( One of the cannons of the club?).  The fact that general membership was not advised/consulted/polled/ notified in advance, etc….I believe, is at the core of why members are anxious, feel betrayed and are having serious doubts about the board’s intentions to represent the club the way it was intended.

Ed Adams

#16,830

This post was modified 1 year ago by Edward Adams

Posted : 03/04/2023 13:16
Chris Parker
(@18464)
Topic starter

The April 2023 issue of Airmail will soon be delivered to the printer. Thanks to all that submitted content (three Tech Day summaries, a really great The Ride piece by Ian Hutchinson and a Part Two on the Custom Build piece by Zack Witkowsky are just some of the items coming in this issue). In addition, ABC Quarterly Financials Update, a call for Board Nominations, a Board Meeting Report and a new Workbench article from Dave Fahringer (Wedgetail Points Style Ignition on a 1977 R100S) are also in this issue.

Contributions are being gathered now for the May issue. Please send in your submissions for Barley Therapy, Workbench, Tech Day, Rendezvous, Events, Marketplace and other items to be included to editor@airheads.org.

Thanks!

Chris

Posted : 03/13/2023 13:02
Eric Zwicky reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top