Clear all

/6 Steering damper.

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Michael Bischof
(@michael-bischof)
Topic starter

Permanently remove, or restore (in my case replace the broken under lower tree part with the ball on it)?

Posted : 07/28/2021 13:05
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Why wouldn't you want that in working condition? It keep irregularities in the road from steering the bike.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/28/2021 15:09
Michael Bischof
(@michael-bischof)
Topic starter

@wobbly Don't know, hence the question.  Not sure what it is supposed to accomplish.  I also don't know if the idea of it on a bike like this is obsolete or not.  I have no experience with these, none of my Harleys have ever had one.  So, in your opinion, the $17 part is worth buying?  My damper shock looks like new, has pressure both in and out, and looks mint with no visual evidence of ever leaking.  I'm sure it was replaced during the rebuild, so only has 6k miles on it, or maybe none since the ball post is broken.  In other words I don't think I need a new shock to make functional.

Also, didn't BMW stop using the dampers on later models?  If so, what was the detriment of no longer providing a damper in that era?

Posted : 07/28/2021 17:05
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Whenever I see no steering dampener, the first suspect is always "cost cutting". 

Comparing a H-D to an Airhead is a loosing game. Let's not even go there.

Suffice it to say, for $17 I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it at all. After all, there is a "0" setting, which turns it off. If you didn't have the $110 steering shock, I could see why you might want to put off the installation, but $17 is chicken feed compared to most Airhead parts.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/29/2021 04:22

Advertisement

Scroll to top