4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
bradley martin
(@dartnmartn)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey Airheads!

Just discovered something called "The Chase".  It's similar to the Canonball (same organizers I think) but uses 1960 or older machinery.  And not quite so long mileage-wise either (Maybe?).

The Cannonball is out of my $$$ league with pre 30' bikes of any type, prepped to go cross country, plus multiple stays in hotels for you and your crew plus the tow rig and trailer plus plus plus.....  Anyway, too rich for my wallet.

But.  This "Chase" might be a little more attainable with newer hardware allowed.  So....  Which of the pre 1960 Beemers would you choose for 1500 miles of back roads in 5 days, you must do all your own wrenching type of event?

Would the singles be up for this?  The 250's???  Or should it be a boxer 500?

My Beemer knowledge dries up pre '78 so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Brad

Posted : 08/03/2021 07:41
Bert Mann
(@smalltowntex)

Since it is pre 1960 event...I would get whatever I could but a twin would be more desirable IMO.  I can attest to the ruggedness of the older machines (1957) and when you complete the event, you can see just how spoiled the mainstream riders have become.  Good luck.

Posted : 09/19/2021 15:54
Scottie Sharpe
(@scottiesharpe)

BMW had two top model series 1951-1954 (Slash 3) and 1955-1969 (Slash 2). 

Either one would work well for long distance touring, however the double swingarm design of the Slash 2 is far more capable for carrying a load on rough roads and providing a smooth ride. 

I would choose a Slash 2 R69.  The R50 is a bit underpowered for fully loaded touring.  An R60 would suffice but the R69 has more high RPM HP. 

All of these bikes had the same chassis. 

Do not get a single for long distance touring. Not enough power. 

Posted : 09/22/2021 16:20
Scottie Sharpe
(@scottiesharpe)

BMW had two top model series 1951-1954 (Slash 3) and 1955-1969 (Slash 2). 

Either one would work well for long distance touring, however the double swingarm design of the Slash 2 is far more capable for carrying a load on rough roads and providing a smooth ride. 

I would choose a Slash 2 R69.  The R50 is a bit underpowered for fully loaded touring.  An R60 would suffice but the R69 has more high RPM HP. 

All of these bikes had the same chassis. 

I have over 100,000 miles on both of these series (having owned many different vintage BMWs).  Let me know if you have more questions. 

Do not get a single for long distance touring. Not enough power. 

Posted : 09/22/2021 16:20

Advertisement

Scroll to top