FORUM

Forum Newb, Looking...

Notifications
Clear all

Forum Newb, Looking at 75 R90S and one VIN is weird.

10 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
Gary White
(@gary-white-4191)
Topic starter

Hi everyone, I own a 09 R1200RT and am looking to purchase an older bike for around town.

I've found a 75 R90S and am pretty excited and interested but have questions about the VIN numbers. The one on the engine looks perfect and includes the logo stamp. 

Now the frame one looks messed up. The 5th number, (meant to be a 4) is a mess and not really readable. There also appear to be faint signs of grinder marks around that number and lower on the post. There is no logo stamp by the frame VIN.

Am I seeing things and is it fine, or might this have had some work done to it?

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Vancouver, BC

Posted : 08/03/2021 16:09
Larry A. Chabira
(@2659)

those are NOT BMW number stamps,  I would not say that its stolen right off. Could have been in a wreck and somebody replaced the frame and did a poor job trying to number the frame. That said its not going to be a big money R90S , so if you want it don't over pay for that one. 

Posted : 08/03/2021 17:11
Richard W
(@wobbly)

If you are stuck on the R90S and feel like riding home from GA, I have a buddy in the next town over who has an all-original, 2-owner, never wrecked, well cared for orange model for sale. He's very reasonable on the price. 

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/04/2021 04:34
bradley martin
(@dartnmartn)
Eminent Member

Dang, it seems like if someone was going to fake a VIN number they could have done a far better job than THAT!

A couple bucks at harbor freight for a grinder and a stamp set....

But if it was just damaged by normal wear and tear (tank bag buckle or ???) why would it be ONLY on that one digit.  The last #4 looks a little dodgy but I do need new glasses. 

Posted : 08/04/2021 07:03
Daren Dortin
(@bremoit)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @wobbly

If you are stuck on the R90S and feel like riding home from GA, I have a buddy in the next town over who has an all-original, 2-owner, never wrecked, well cared for orange model for sale. He's very reasonable on the price. 

@wobbly

Interested about the bike you mention here. Can you contact me with some contact information, if it's still available.

Posted : 08/08/2021 06:42
Daren Dortin
(@bremoit)
Eminent Member

@wobbly

Thanks for the note.

For what it's worth; I'm logged in and this what I'm seeing:

Looking at your profile/about page it shows your name, region, how you can help but oddly enough, I am not seeing any way to contact you via email or otherwise. 

When I click on your "posts" link, "This user has not created any posts" is all that comes up.

I'd like to learn about the 90s for sale, if possible. 

Cheers!

This post was modified 3 years ago by Richard W

Posted : 08/08/2021 09:05
Daren Dortin
(@bremoit)
Eminent Member

Back on topic....I've only read of one instance (anecdotally) where the frame number was altered at the factory and the owner had factory/dealer documentation to verify---the frame was mis-stamped, off one number from the engine block. 

If it's priced as non matching #s AND you are not concerned about the originality there could be a value buy here (after a careful review of the rest of the bike)

That said, an obviously altered frame VIN would give me serious pause and wonder what other creativity has been lavished on this bike by its previous owner(s).

Posted : 08/08/2021 09:45
David Elkow reacted
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @bremoit

@wobbly

I'd like to learn about the 90s for sale, if possible. 

Cheers!

Email sent. Check your Junk Mail folders.

I've also erased your posted email to limit spamming.

Posted : 08/09/2021 05:15
Gary White
(@gary-white-4191)
Topic starter

Thanks for all your responses. I walked away from the R90S with the sketchy frame VIN. He was asking way too much and still claimed it was "numbers matching". I decided not to out the seller publically and hope that the eventual buyer got a better price than he was asking.

I did however find a "barn find" 72 SWB R75/5 toaster with matching numbers that is going to be a project, but I think it's a diamond in the rough currently. 

Cheers,

G

Posted : 07/30/2022 14:02
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @gary-white-4191

I did however find a "barn find" 1972 SWB R75/5 toaster with matching numbers that is going to be a project, but I think it's a diamond in the rough currently. 

That's a MUCH BETTER choice for "around town" riding !! You'll be much happier, with much less trouble.

Be sure and fit an LED headlamp bulb to raise your battery charging efficiency at the lower RPM ranges, which "around town" riding is bound to include.

Posted : 07/31/2022 07:19
Gary White reacted

Advertisement

Scroll to top