Rear wheel drive spline cup replacement

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
J.T. Sutton
(@j-t-sutton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have a 1977 R100/7 what some substantial wear on the rear drive splines. In doing some research I think I have decided to have Hansens's BMW do their signature repair to the final drive splines. Apparently there is a near complete absence of new rear wheel drive cups at the present time. Luckily, a good friend has offered a spare that he has had for a number of years. 

My question concerns the method of attachment for the rear wheel spline cup. Obviously this items was riveted from the factory. Hansens's offers this replacement method as well. But, the wait time is considerably longer for this service and I would have to ship my entire rear wheel clear across the country. I have read Snowbum's treatise on replacing the rivets with what he considers the appropriate shouldered aircraft bolts. My friend that has offered me the spline cup originally received the part from Oak Okleshen and it included a set of shouldered bolts. Being that Oak was such a highly respected member of the Airhead technical community, I feel these are the correct bolts. My concern, also voiced by Craig Hansen, is that even the correct bolts won't be able to provide the same level of performance as the correctly installed rivets. I'm curious to hear others' opinions and experiences with these two options. 

Thanks

Posted : 08/16/2021 08:47
Larry A. Chabira
(@2659)

Its summer time and a young mans fancy turns to RIDING.  I would put it together with the bolts. finish the season and ship it off later . If you are not going to do any drag racing you should be just fine.

Posted : 08/16/2021 19:45
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member

My airhead is a ‘78 I have owned since 1980. I do not have experience with the bolts vs rivets issue, but I can say that personally I would have no fear of using the proper bolts. At this stage in life I ride pretty easy.  And, I can’t imagine the torque and abuse it would take to do any damage at that connection.  I think about those four little bolts that connect the driveshaft to the tranny output.  Man, if they can handle it.

I had my final drive splines re-done back in the nineties, at around 80k miles. I’m approaching 160k now. My splines are about halfway shot, so I will probably be facing another repair not too many years down the road. However, the rear wheel cup has yet to show much wear. Seems like they are extremely durable if kept lubricated. So, I’m kinda surprised your wheel needs work. 

Posted : 08/17/2021 05:23

Advertisement

Scroll to top