8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I'm Eric and I'm new to this club. I'd like to thank John Marshall (newzhack) for sharing this group with me. So, I'd like to start by saying I apologize in advance if I ask a repeat question, or what seems as a dumb question. I'm new to bikes in general and need some guidance on maintenance. I'm in the Air Force and just moved back stateside after being overseas for 16 years. On my last assignment in Germany, I was able to pick up a pretty cool little bike. I purchased a 79 R45 with 26,000 KM's on it. I didn't argue with the price as another military guy sold it to me for $900! It was running but needed some attention. My ignorance cost me a bit, as I decided to just take it to the BMW dealership. It cost me over 800 Euros to get a full service done. I wasn't impressed, and I'm sure I got suckered:whistle: . Tuning was lousy and kept back firing.
To my surprise an old gentleman walking in my village saw me trying to get the timing, valve clearance, and back firing sorted. He had to have been in his 70's-80's, but he came up to me smiled, said hello and started helping me out. Thank goodness for Google translate. Come to find out he worked at an old motorrad in Heidelberg years ago and knew about these bikes. Got the tuning as best as possible. I gave him some English Green King Beers I had for his help and a very strong hug. Experience beat youth big time that day. Ha Ha! I hope to pick peoples brains in here and I’m looking forward to meeting other members near me in Oklahoma or maybe SoCal folks when I finally get a chance to take leave. Thanks everyone!

V/R
Eric

Posted : 08/03/2020 15:16
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member

Welcome Eric! If you're looking to become proficient at maintaining your own Airhead and meeting like minded friends this is the place. I've really enjoyed the tech days here in Illinois. 2020 hasn't been a good year for organized events anywhere but if you check the dAIRectory I'm sure you can meet some local airheads for help with a project or to just go out for a ride.

Posted : 08/05/2020 10:53
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank You! I'm pretty fortunate the Air Marshall lives in the next town over from me. He's been super helpful! Thanks for the reply

V/R
Eric

Posted : 08/05/2020 13:10
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome Aboard !

Some thoughts...
• Let me underscore the need to visit a Tech Day anywhere near you. You'll get a jump start on your Airhead training.

• This is important because you own a vintage vehicle, and as such you need to become your own chief mechanic. You wouldn't drive your Model T into a Ford dealership for a tune-up. Of course not ! No mechanic there has ever worked on one. And it's the exact same thing with your bike and the current BMW motorcycle dealers. There is a list of approved Airhead mechanics at the top of each of the Technical Forums, but You are your bike's best advocate.

HERE is a list of additional items to check as you try to correct your tuning issues.

All the best. Ask lots of questions !!

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/05/2020 14:26
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey Sir,

Thank you for the link. I will be sure to read it. I own 2 classic mini coopers as well, so I know being your own mechanic specially stateside where I have little support is crucial. Are you on the isle of Mann? I see the flag on your avatar. I regret never going there when I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath. Cheers!

V/R
Eric

Posted : 08/05/2020 14:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

3 classic Mini Coopers !! Oh my that brings back some memories. I had a 1275, and then later a 998. What FUN cars !!

I'm in north Georgia. I was a Brit bike and car nut for decades. Atlanta was a big hot spot for Brit anything. They still have several annual rallies and meets. Went to the IOM 3 times back in the 70's. Loved every minute of it. Found a decal from one of those trips the other day celebrating the return of Mike Hailwood.

Mini Coopers & BMWs. We might have been separated at birth !!

Posted : 08/05/2020 21:39
Eric Morales
(@emoralesr45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Interesting you say 1275. I have 1 of those. I always say Mini Coopers because people only tend to recognize just the one design. I have an 86 I'm nearly done restoring. At one point thank Goodness I have a good wife, I had 5 of them. People would give them to me when they would have to leave the assignment. Here's a photo of the 1275. Engine has been modified to a 1293CC with a 266 Cam and HIF44 carb. Got the carb from an old Jag.

Posted : 08/06/2020 00:51
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Aww, Jeez. I didn't need to see that this morning !!

That's really beautiful. Congrats.

Posted : 08/06/2020 09:42

Advertisement

Scroll to top