4 Users
0 Reactions
12.2 K Views
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello All,

Just returned from the NEF Winter Rally at Camp Blanding and had a ball. My buddy Wilbur and I hung out with the Airheads and really enjoyed the comradery and good times. We are hooked and will be attending this event for sure next year and look forward to many others. I joined the Airheads upon returning home and look forward to an airhead purchase later this year. Gonna dive in to the forum and learn all I can and try to select a good bike. I will catch up with some of you that I met for some advice and buying assistance. The Dirty Duck will be consulted for sure! Anyway, thanks for what you do here and I look forward to using the resource! I am listed in the directory and have a place for anyone if you are traveling this way. We are in North Central Florida about 30 miles below Camp Blanding. Plenty of camping space here as well as a room if proper planning is done.

Courtney
dcb_wvu
currently riding a 99 F650 but an airhead will join her soon

Posted : 01/16/2018 13:54
Bret Williams
(@bret)
Estimable Member

Welcome aboard. You're going the same route I did. Joined in April, read until my eyes bled, and got a lot of info.

Knew what I was looking for and what to look out for. Bought a R1000RT in September.

Posted : 01/16/2018 20:27
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Welcome aboard. I'm in NE Georgia and you're welcome to stop by anytime.

Choice of a bike is very personal matter. If you could tell us where your emphasis is going to be (handling, braking, wind protection, water protection, etc) maybe we could narrow down the decision for you.

A rally coming up in late spring/ early summer called the Gathering of the Clans is a great Airhead rally that's well worth attending. Look for it.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 01/17/2018 10:54
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have a line on a 75 R90/6 that is mostly together. I can get it rather cheap and as long I sort out he electrical, Stan is Gainesville is game to assist on tuning her up. This bike has a Windjammer on it and will likely go back together with that on it for now. I am still looking around but this one is intriguing as I like the challenge and have a place to work on it. Anyway, I will continue to search around and read up on the tech stuff on here. Very good stuff!

Posted : 01/17/2018 13:23
Brian Swanick
(@thundermotive)
Estimable Member

Welcome! I joined at the end of last year's riding season so I'm looking forward to attending some events and meeting up with members here in the midwest as soon as the weather breaks. This is a great resource for tech info. Good luck with the 90/6. Be sure to post some photos.

Posted : 01/17/2018 20:20
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have a line on a 75 R90/6 that is mostly together. I can get it rather cheap and as long I sort out he electrical, Stan in Gainesville is game to assist on tuning her up. This bike has a Windjammer on it and will likely go back together with that on it for now.

Several threads here within the last 2 months (that you might wish to look up and read) detailing how to bring back a BMW twin that's been in storage. Quite simple really, and not beyond the scope of someone with basic mechanical skills and the space to do the work. The engines and electrical system are very basic (think 1965 VW). Maintenance and tuning are easily mastered. If not, there's always the ever-present "Tech Days" in your area. Look for one in your area on the Club calendar.

Unlike other fairings, the Windjammer was installed with very few (if any) changes to the parent bike. You had to remove the front blinkers, attach the steel support frame, and plug in the extended harness for the headlamp. That was it. The hardest part of restoring one of these back to a "naked bike" or even fitting an R90S type bikini fairing is replacing the 2 missing front flasher mounts and then being able to afford the cost of the replacement 190mm headlamp glass, reflector, and chrome rim.

The Windjammer was a great fairing in its day, but it will make the bike very front end heavy, which will hurt any kind of sport riding. And by even 1980 standards, doesn't afford much weather protection. If creature comforts are on your list, then an R80RT or R100RT with the factory fairings would be a much better first choice. The very similar, but sportier RS models, might be in there too. The front suspensions on these factory-faired bikes are already setup for the higher front-end weight (making sport touring possible) and the leg shields (which can be removed in summer) provide a huge amount of weather protection for the feet and lower legs... thus possibly extending your riding season by several months.

Hope this helps !

Posted : 01/19/2018 11:44
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Awesome advice Wobbly. I was looking at the return to naked myself and had surmised those were the high dollar options as well. I also love that I can get a new electric box (box in headlight bezel) for under $100 so, boom, electric should be sorted out but I may rewire the entire bike for the experience and peace of mind. I am clearing out a space in the garage for the work this weekend after a tune up on an 01 RS for a buddy.

Posted : 01/19/2018 13:03
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Stan in Gainesville has talked me out of this one. Anyway, on to the next one. Kinda liking the R80 GS, think I may try and spy one of those. Anyone else going to the meet over in New Smyrna on March 8,9,10? I shall be there. Look forward to some good bike viewing and fellowship around the campfire.

Posted : 02/21/2018 20:21
Courtney Black
(@dcb_wvu)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Okay, an update. I traded the 1999 F650 for a 1988 R100RT. The RT had some brake issues, the front caught on the third pump. did a bottom up bleed this morning and we are back in business!!! A few electrical issues but those were due to putting both the positive and negative for a few items on positive! Yikes. Anyway, got those sorted out too and will dive into a carb tune next.

One issue it has and this seems odd to me. It leaks oil out the oil pressure switch. Seriously, I watched it! I ordered a new one but wondered if this is common? I have not taken it out yet, but is there anything I can do to "fix" it? I searched the forum and did not come up with any hits.

Oh, and another thing. I think I will remove the working AM/FM/cassette and get a glove box back and use that power for my Montana GPS. Thanks for any advice.

Courtney
Finally an Airhead owner!!!

Oh, and this bike actually fills two holes. To me it is an "old watch" and a touring bike. Read Peter Egan for the context.

Posted : 04/19/2018 13:50
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Oil pressure switch leaks are a recurring issue. This exact switch is common to a lot of German vehicles made around the same time, so it might be possible for your local auto parts store to get you one at a better price. I've had to replace both on my 2 bikes. They cannot be "fixed", only replaced.

Hope this helps

Posted : 04/20/2018 13:56

Advertisement

Scroll to top