R100s semi restore

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Mark Scott
(@18280)
Topic starter

Hello from Roseville, Ca

I bought a 1978 R100s a month ago, I’m in the process of getting it road worthy. I’ve worked on several other bikes but now BMWs.  On the list or repairs are engine, trans reseal, rebuilding the front master cylinder and all new brake pads. So far there are no glaring issues I’ve come across. The friend I bought the bike from works on BMWs so was able to borrow the special tools. Any advice will be appreciated. 

*side note..can you post more the one photo at a time?

thanks, Mark

Posted : 05/15/2023 07:14
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @18280

Any advice will be appreciated. 

*side note.. can you post more the one photo at a time?

Mark -

Welcome ! That's going to be a killer ride. What a fabulous bike !

1) I worked professionally on Brit, Asian and German bikes and found that BMW's have a completely different maintenance list when being brought out of storage, as compared to their cousins. Typically, zero engine work is required. But there's a lengthy laundry list of other items to check which are itemized in the article listed below:

https://www.airheads.org/community/wrenching/new-owner-primer-tips-to-get-your-airhead-back-on-the-road/

The one item that's always on the "to-do list" is repack all the bearings with new grease because the OEM German grease 40-years on turns to something akin to window caulk. So your steering may be stiff, the starter motor might not really "spin", and the wheel bearings may be in danger. Worth checking.

2) You can post as many photos as you like. If you have over 5, then you may wish to post hyperlinks and not the full images.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/16/2023 15:47
Mark Scott reacted
Nick Stokes
(@10244)

Posted by: @18280

Hello from Roseville, Ca

I bought a 1978 R100s a month ago, I’m in the process of getting it road worthy. I’ve worked on several other bikes but now BMWs.  On the list or repairs are engine, trans reseal, rebuilding the front master cylinder and all new brake pads. So far there are no glaring issues I’ve come across. The friend I bought the bike from works on BMWs so was able to borrow the special tools. Any advice will be appreciated. 

Hi Mark,

I have that exact bike in the same color to include the bar-end mirrors.  It's a great ride.

Just rebuilt the forks and installed some HyperPro springs I got from Tom Cutter along with gaiters.  I see you also installed a ToasterTan top brace as well.  I too had to rebuild the front master cylinder along with replacing the rear rotor which had worn below the minimum thickness.  Shortly after buying it I sent the starter to Rick Jones for a rebuild and replaced the coils which made a big difference in starting.

Other things I have on mine is a Dyna III ignition and a KATDASH instrument lighting kit along with their solid-state flasher relay.

Keep us up on your progress.

Nick

ABC #10244

This post was modified 10 months ago by Nick Stokes

Posted : 07/11/2023 14:01

Advertisement

Scroll to top