Retired Tire Change

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
David Elkow
(@4949)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Now that I’m 65 and retired, I’ve finally performed my own tire change and balance. I’ve had this airhead for over 40 years, and I do all my own maintenance and repairs, but I’ve always taken it to a shop for tires. Now we live far, far away from any kind of BMW shop, so I decided it’s time to tackle the job myself. I will admit, first time through was a bit of a wrestling match. Next time will be much less so, I’m sure. 

I equipped myself with some suitable tire levers and rim protectors from Motion Pro. A BikeMaster bead breaker. Some RU-GLYDE tire lube from NAPA. A can of tire talc to slick up the inner tubes.  And, a balancer from Marc Parnes. I built a thingy to lay the wheel on during procedures, and another thingy to hold the balancer and wheel. I figured that the first tire change would not save me money, just the hassle of going somewhere far away.  But now that I’m equipped, I’ll save quite a bit each time.

The results were excellent!  Extra smooth!  When I purchased the balancer I spoke with Marc Parnes over the phone. He told me, and I quote, “you will be very pleased when you do it yourself”.  He is correct. The balance is spot on, and it sure makes a difference!  PS: I installed Dunlop D404’s. I’ve had several sets of these in the past.  Really liked them just fine, and they come at an a very reasonable price. 

Posted : 04/13/2021 14:32
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I salute you !!

To me the 3 secrets are...

1. Good tire tools. You should have 3. They need to be thin and stumpy at the working end. Excess length inside the tire is what pinches the tube. My favorites are some Suzuki tire tools I bought back in 1971.
  2. Good lube. Professional rubber lube is the cheapest way to make your day go MUCH better.
  3. Getting the wheel up off the ground and fully supported. I find 28 to 30" off the ground (hip height) allows you to use your leg to counterbalance the force of the tools. I use a 35gal oil drum with an section of old garden hose around the lip. Perfect height, perfect diameter, perfect protection. 

I was installing a tire just yesterday and thinking... "This might be the last tire I ever install. Wow, what a career... 1966 to 2021 !"

I like your balancing stand too. The secret to balancing Airhead wheels is to have 17mm ID outboard bearings on the axle. Keep them in a zip-lock to keep them clean. 

Very smart setup !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/14/2021 06:31

Advertisement

Scroll to top