Snowflake Wheel Question

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Michael McNight
(@blue-1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have a 1980 BMW R100T motorcycle with twin front disc brakes. 

I just bought (2) new brake discs.  They’re labeled, “Left” and “Right”. 

Just incase in the last 42 years my wheel got turned around, I’d like to identify the right & left wheel sides. 

I remember reading years ago that there is writing only on one side of the rims ,  and this writing will identify the right/left side of the wheel.  This is true, I have writing only on one wheel side of my wheel. 

My question, what does the writing on the side indicate, the right or left side of the wheel?

I’ve searched the internet extensively with no luck.  Thanks for any help. 

Mike…

Posted : 04/06/2023 11:09
Richard W
(@wobbly)

1. The date stamp will be on the RH side.

2. The first thing to do on an RT that old is make sure your bike is running the reinforced wheel, which was introduced about 1982. Earlier wheels were known to break, causing injury to the rider. For this reason, there is a permanent recall notice on older front wheels and BMW North America will replace these older wheels for FREE for ANY owner ! Free wheel, free bearings, free grease seals, free labor to install.

(By permanent I mean: never expires, in perpetuity, forever, without ending, still legally in force and binding.)

The rear wheel is not in question. ONLY the older date coded front snowflake wheels.

Earlier wheels did not have the reinforcing webs.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 04/07/2023 06:01

Advertisement

Scroll to top