Clear all

Thank you all !

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Edward Phebus
(@jukinjed)
Topic starter

1978 R100/7 with 96000 miles stored for the last 14 years all I can say is, "This bike makes me breathe hard!"

Still some primping to do but it's settling down into a groove with me nicely. I have a 8 mile black top through the woods loop that I've been "testing" on and man, what medicine for my soul bringing this beast back to life has been.

Posted : 05/30/2020 22:22
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Glad you're enjoying it !! Strange thing is, the more you ride an Airhead the better it will run. If you'll ride it weekly, by August it will be truly amazing.

Your post made it sound as if you were maybe pushing it a little bit. I live out in the woods (about 7 miles from any civilization), and tend to ride a little harder too on the vacant back roads. Here's some tips that have really helped me...
• Try airing your tires to ~34 front and ~31 rear. Tires will last longer and the bike will respond better.

• Change the fork oil and use real "fork oil", such as BelRay 7 or 10 weight. 250cc in each leg, so a Liter is good for 2 changes.

• Buy some new rear shocks. I've been using the standard Hagon brand with great results. The correct length is 340mm (~13-3/8 inches).

Ride safe !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 05/31/2020 13:01
Edward Phebus
(@jukinjed)
Topic starter

I meant it in a good way! I'm still getting used to how she(betty)does things, I've already changed all the oils except the forks and brake fluid plan on that this week also new pad's,shoes,tires and throttle cables and a through tune. Rear shocks will have to wait. I have other bikes I can push but I tend not to push so hard anymore after 40 years of riding I've pushed enough it's time for me to just be pulled along LOL But man I love how this thing corners can only imagine what it was like when I was 16!

Posted : 05/31/2020 21:52
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I've already changed all the oils except the forks and brake fluid plan on that this week also new pad's, shoes, tires and throttle cables and a thorough tune.

That's fine, but consider adding adding "stainless steel" brake hoses when you do all your brake work.

Lookin' good !!

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/01/2020 09:01
Edward Phebus
(@jukinjed)
Topic starter

Ordered! Thank you

Posted : 06/01/2020 13:22

Advertisement

Scroll to top