FORUM

WhAIR & When Calend...

Notifications
Clear all

WhAIR & When Calendar Event Tips  

Scot Marburger
(@8166)
Member Moderator

Here are a few tips on editing the WhAIR & When calendar events.

To Create a New Calendar Event
Bring up the WhAIR & When calendar by clicking on the link at the top of any page at the ABC web site.
Navigate to the day on which the event will be held and click once with your mouse.
That will bring up a small window.
Enter the title of the event,
Click the Edit Event button.
That will save the event on the calendar and bring up a new page on which you can adjust the appearance of the event on the month calendar view and on the detail view that comes up when an Airhead clicks on the event in the month calendar view.
Enter the information for the event and click the Save button at the top of the page.

Some find it easier to first enter the event description text into their favorite word processor, then copy and past it into the event description field in WhAIR & When.

You can also edit an existing event if you are the person that created it.
Find the event in the calendar month view and click once on it. If for some reason you run into a permissions error, drop an email to webmaster@airheads.org and we'll fix it for you.

A page will open for the event. At the top of that page, click the Edit button.
That should open to the edit page which has options for changing various things about the event announcement.

Once you click on the event in the WhAIR & When calendar month view, it should open a new page.

At the top of that page, click the Edit button.

That should open to the edit page which has options for changing various things about the event announcement.

You can change the background color of the event title in the month calendar by clicking in the Color box. That will bring up a color picker. Unfortunately, the canned software we're using is supposed to choose a complimentary text color for that background, but sometimes it doesn't make very wise choices. The work around is to pick a different background color until you end up with a suitable pair.

There is no option to change the font and font color of text in the calendar month view.

There is a very nice text editor available in Joomla, but for some reason we haven't found a way to make it available inside the calendar where Airmarshals can use it. Webmasters can, so it seems to be a permissions issue, so we're working on a way to fix is. In the mean time, if your event needs special formatting, please send a note to webmaster@airheads.org and include the name and date of the event, and describe the changes you'd like in as much detail as possible.

It is also possible for the webmasters to insert images into events, but again we haven't figured out a way for Airmarshals to do it. Just email the images you'd like to use to webmaster@airheads.org and include the name and date of the event, and we'll get 'em loaded on there for you.

Scheduling the event:
If your event is a one time deal, just click the No button next to the Scheduling option.
If your event repeats, click the the button that corresponds to the repeat interval.
Monthly and Yearly are probably the most used, so I'll give a brief description of each.
For a Monthly event, click in the Until field to pick a date after which the event will no longer show on the calendar. A mini calendar date picker will make this easy.
Enter the number of months between repeats in months in the Interval field. Set it to 1 for events happening every month, 2 for those happening every other month, etc.
Enter the number of times a month (usually 1) that the event will happen in the Repeat Count field.
The By Day button lets you set the day of the month on which the event will happen.
The by week button lets you set the day based on the week and day of the month. For example, if the event always happens on the second Tuesday of the month, pick 2 for the Week field and Tuesday for the Day field.
I'm no expert so I won't go into the Expert options field, but if you figure it out please let the webmasters know how it works, OK?

To set the location of the event:
Click the Locations tab at the top of the page.
The locations field contains a number of locations for other events, and if you've already entered this event that location may still be there. Click once in the field to see a dropdown menu of existing locations, and click the one you want to use.
If your location isn't there, fill out the address information in the Title, Country, State, City, etc. fields.
Then click the dark gray Save & Close button just above the Title field (NOT the Save & Close button at the top of the page).
A pin will appear on the google map below the fields you just completed.
It would be nice if you could just click on the map to create the pin, but unfortunately that option isn't supported.
When you're done setting the location, don't forget to click either the Save or Save & Close button at the top of the page.

Topic starter Posted : 03/04/2016 19:29
James Strickland
(@8053)
Honorable Member Expired Membership

Hey Scot, I find myself unable to copy/paste the text of announcements from MS Word to the text field for the WhAIR and when calendar. Any pointers?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2016 12:42
Scot Marburger
(@8166)
Member Moderator

Hey Scot, I find myself unable to copy/paste the text of announcements from MS Word to the text field for the WhAIR and when calendar. Any pointers?

Not really sure what's causing the problem, but you could try using Notepad or some other pain text (ASCII) editor to compose your messages. Lord knows what Word uses for text these days, and if it's anything but plain text, it'll mess up the display in the WhAIR & When Calendar.

Sorry I don't have anything else to suggest, I'm a UNIX/Mac guy. Maybe Mark will have an idea?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2016 13:16
Mark Bogart
(@11190)
Member Admin

You are exactly correct, Scot.
MS Word is not text but text+code.
When pasted into a non Windows environment, the actual text is mixed in with the MS code.
If you want to use MS Word to compose, you should first save as a text document (which is free of the MS code.)

It is really easier to use notepad, wordpad or some other plain text program.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2016 18:20

Advertisement

Scroll to top