1982 R100RS Return to Service

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I've got an '82 R100RS that, for various life's reasons, has not been run in 3 years. I would like to return it to service, and I'm trying to determine what all I'll need to do to it. So far I've had the carbs rebuilt by Bing, as they were pretty gummed up. I have not remounted them yet. Other than that, I'm looking at:

Fork seals

oil/filter change

flush brake system

new tires

What else should I concern myself with? I probably need to take a look in the fuel tank and possibly pull the petcocks to clean them.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a skilled wrench, so I'm trying to determine what I can do, and what I'll need to have done.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted : 12/17/2022 13:03
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Steve -

Here's an article I wrote after putting 5 or 6 Airheads back on the road. It sort of covers the "top 100" items that tend to need looking at after long term storage. You won't find something wrong at every point, but it's a good check list to use so that you don't need a tow truck during your first test drive.  Hope you find it helpful. 

https://www.airheads.org/community/wrenching/new-owner-primer-tips-to-get-your-airhead-back-on-the-road/

All the best.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/18/2022 15:34
Steven Shockley
(@14922)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks Richard. Looks like you cover everything!

Posted : 12/19/2022 15:36
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Posted by: @14922

Thanks Richard. Looks like you cover everything!

It's not "everything", but it's enough to where you won't be walking home ! Of course, use common sense and let your first ride be 25 miles, followed by successively longer rides. If you'll listen, the bike will tell you what it needs.

The major emphasis is for fresh fuel (to run the best) and fresh brake fluid (to stop the best). If you can simply get out on the open road where you can cruise at a steady throttle for 30 minutes, then so many things will start working so much better.

The one real surprise for most folks is the anti-oxidation treatment for the wiring connectors and plugs. They can mentally picture what 40 years of corrosion can do to an electrical system, but until they hear their horn get audibly louder or see their lights get visibly brighter they can't imagine that it could actually be present and hampering their pristine Airhead ! 

Safe travels and don't forget to write back about your first 500 miles. 

👍

This post was modified 1 year ago by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/20/2022 10:59

Advertisement

Scroll to top