FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

1983 R65 needs complete fuel line crossover.

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jan Strough
(@5716)
Topic starter

My 1983 R65 needs a redo for the crossover fuel lines. A diagram would help. One petcock.

Thank you.  Jan

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Jan Strough

Posted : 02/11/2022 21:42
Richard W
(@wobbly)

First Thing: If your pet cock is the one with the plastic nib on the bottom to connect the fuel hose, then I highly suggest you start casting around for one of the later models petcocks where the nib is cast into the metal body of the cock. The plastic nibs have become hard to get and they contribute to fuel leaks. The newer petcocks have the outlet pointed to the rear, but that simply gives you more room to add an in-line fuel filter, if needed.

Fuel Line: There are  several types of fuel line available to you. IMHO the best is 1/4" ID American made automotive fuel line... which must be marked "SAE J30.." to withstand the rigors of ethanol fuel. Even the best fuel lines harden after several years, so go ahead and buy a 6ft length so you'll have some spare.

Fuel Hose Clamps: My favorites are the smaller "spring clamps" that keep constant pressure on the hose... even if the hose shrinks. These can be reused for decades and take no more than pliers to operate. And the loose ends won't cut your finger tips, like the screw type can. Find these at any auto parts store. Buy these AFTER you buy the hose, because the effective clamping range is limited.

Routing: There are multiple ways to route the fuel lines. I will show you the OEM way and my way. When you think about this, you may be inclined to come up with your own way.

The OEM Method

► The OEM routing has the cross-over line running under the front bottom corner of the airbox. (You'll notice a notch in the plastic air box there.) This routing means 1. the lines need to be cut to exact lengths, 2. disassembling the air box when ever you need to run new line, and 3. American fuel hose doesn't always fit in the small airbox cutout. In this routing the T-fitting is in the vertical position, like this: ╠  with the short end connecting to the cross-over line.

► In my method the fuel line comes out of the petcock and immediately into T-fitting, which is turn horizontal, like this: ╦ . Then the LH fuel line drops down to the LH carb, and the RH fuel line passes over the top of the engine to the RH carb. (The airbox notch is left empty, unused.) Still neat and tidy, but the longer fuel hose lengths don't need to be as exact and allow for greater changes in hose lengths.

Hope this helps.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Richard W

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/12/2022 07:36
Jan Strough
(@5716)
Topic starter

I don't know where to begin to thank you. You offered so much help. I didn't know I could add pictures. I have to get back out there using your advice. Wow, thank you.

Posted : 02/12/2022 22:57
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• You're certainly welcome.

• This is the power of "community", which is why you join a club like this to begin with !

• This site doesn't "host" photos, but if you are using PhotoBucket, IGMUR, or one of those other photo sights, then they will issue you a hosted URL for each of your photos. It's that URL which you actually post here, using Cut & Paste.

All the best.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 02/13/2022 08:08

Advertisement

Scroll to top