Clear all

1992 r100r dead after washing at spray wash

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Richard W
(@wobbly)
Topic starter

► There are several spray-on products available at your local auto parts store that will chase water out of the electrical contacts. That's your problem, and that's a solution. Ultimately, the issue will rectify itself when things finally dry out, but that could be days.

► Your BMW owner's manual warns against using high pressure spray washers to clean your bike for this very reason. It's not just the electrics, but the high velocity, extremely focused water stream also washes grease out of important areas like wheel bearings, head post bearings, and swing arm bearings.... places that usually don't get checked, even on an annual basis.

There is a HUGE difference between wind-driven rain, which the bike experiences on the road, and high pressure washing. The designers have more than adequately provided for protection against wind-driven water. Focused, high-pressure washing forces the water past seals and every other preventative measure man can devise. If you think new BMWs are expensive now, the price would triple if protection against high pressure washing were included.

Please, go sell your BMW and buy a Yamaha or Honda. You'll have the exact same problem for the exact same reasons with any bike you choose.

Regards.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 06/06/2017 13:43
Thomas Brundage
(@ridefast99)
Trusted Member

I took bike to spray wash wont start checked carb bowls and air filter all dry....put a heater under it with tarp on it over night ...no start....no juice at all when i turn on ignition....but battery has juice checked it with test light....4 fuses on side of bike all good ...whaen i turned on ignition i did hear a frying sound around the instrument cluster ....bike ran about 5 miles after the heater dry out but was very erratic and felt like a gas issue .....but now i am thinking key switch problem....Also is there a mechanic in the Connecticut area that wont take your pants down to fix this issue XXXX are XXXX.....And i can see them ripping me off for a 1000 bucks please help {Ridefast99}

Posted : 06/06/2017 07:17

Advertisement

Scroll to top