Clear all

/5 Fork Issues

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Adam Wagner
(@adamw)
Topic starter

Hi All. New to airheads. I have a 1971 (12/70) R75/5 project. Did not run and was in quite a state. I now have it running and have taken it around the block a couple times. During this ride I noticed that I was feeling every bump. Not enjoyable. Upon inspection, my forks were still compressed(as indicated by the boots). I was able to pull the forks down but there was not rebound. Ah! Stiction I thought. Loosened the 4 points from the triple tree to the axle . Once loosened, the rebound improved but the forks were still sticking albeit not as bad (some rebound vs none). I removed both forks and tested the rebound off the bike. Left one is ok and the right is worse. Since I dont really have a baseline for this model I'd like to know, what height should the fork be assembled and off the bike, how much should it compress and return?

Thanks

Adam

Posted : 12/21/2019 17:54
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

It's the studs for the fork brace, the nylon lock nuts push the studs in until they make contact with the fork tubes. It is a possibility unique to the /5 fork legs and earlier US models with telescopic forks as well.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 12/22/2019 20:55
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Adam -

Welcome aboard !

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 12/22/2019 21:02
David Kelly
(@subman)

Adam - I l know I am late to the party, but my '71 R75/5 had basically the same issues. The forks were, in a word, shot. I ended up rebuilding mine and installed Race Tech cartridge emulators and progressive springs over the winter. Just did my test ride and it has made a world of difference. AND, as noted above, I had one of the four fork brace studs protruding too far and had been making contact with the fork tube. I ended up replacing the stud - carefully. Hopefully you'll sort through yours as well. In my case, the work put in was well worth it, and not a great expense. FWIW I'd never rebuilt forks before, and it came out great.

Posted : 05/03/2020 19:07

Advertisement

Scroll to top