Clear all

'74 R90s Clock Stopped Working

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Dave Cowgill
(@14323)
Topic starter

The MotoMeter clock (white numerals) had been working fine, then I noticed that it had stopped. It is getting power; the ground is good... ??? I called one of the speedo shops that advertises in ON. VERY expensive!
I have removed the clock and partially disassembled it. I'm waiting for some cleaner and lube to arrive.
Anyone have experience with this, or suggestions on procedure?

Posted : 11/09/2019 22:59
Richard W
(@wobbly)

The clock has a quartz movement and is therefore very simple in design. When they stop they have typically reached end of life. Look for a complete replacement unit in our AirBazaar or on Ebay.

If the price is simply too much, then consider a new VDO replacement. New old stock VDO on Ebay can be had for under $20. However, those typically have orange hands, not the white you're looking for.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/10/2019 16:32
Dave Cowgill
(@14323)
Topic starter

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find. It's the numerals that are white; the hands on mine are orange. Regardless, I'll take a reasonably priced replacement and paint whatever I must.
Again, my thanks.
Dave

Posted : 11/10/2019 21:33
Richard W
(@wobbly)

• There can't be a world of difference internally. I was thinking you might be able to replace the internal mechanism and use the original face and hands.

• Use only silcone watch oil if you lube anything. https://www.esslinger.com/pure-silicone-watch-oil-10-centistokes-4ml/

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 11/12/2019 10:18
Dave Cowgill
(@14323)
Topic starter

Thanks. I ordered the Chinese El-Cheapo with an eye towards swapping the guts as you suggested. This one has red back-lighting, which I don't want, but I may be able to work around that, too.

Posted : 11/12/2019 17:16
John Bernetich
(@johnb)
Eminent Member

Hi group
I had a simular problem with my 82 R100 RT clock not working. I wanted to keep the original clock on the bike and after much searching I found help with "flicker bmw clock repair". Step by step pictures provided excellent help and a couple of capacitors had my clock up and running for a total of $5. I didn't know if the clock would work after my handiwork but was pleasantly surprised to find it ticking away. Good luck and enjoy the step by step instructions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/getproductions/albums/72157627860750305/

Posted : 12/02/2019 21:46
Dave Cowgill
(@14323)
Topic starter

Thanks!
I'll see if I can replicate this repair to my original.
Meanwhile, I received the el-cheapo substitute. It appears acceptable, but, as originally mentioned, the back-lighting is red, not white. I'm putzing with adapting a KatDash back-light kit. I'll see how that goes.
Thanks again,
Dave 14323

Posted : 12/03/2019 11:30
Chris Brackney
(@epidoc)

Typically these clocks stop working because of failed capacitors.. why? the sulfuric acid in electrolytes evaporates over time and causes failures. My quartz clock on my 1978 R100RS was dead upon purchase... Replaced mine with Tantalum 16V 100uf capacitor - available by the box on AMAZON ($4-5) -> working great and this capacitor will outlast me.
Here is the picture by picture method that I used:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/getproductions/sets/72157627860750305/

Advise using a jewelers pick to remove the bezel- overall very easy job.

Easy and rewarding job for the winter...

Good Luck!

Chris Brackney

Posted : 12/19/2019 23:37

Advertisement

Scroll to top