FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

'76 R75/6: What is This Oil Leak Telling me ?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Kevin Martin
(@kemartin3)
Topic starter

Oh exalted brain trust of all things airhead,

I have a new oil leak on my 1976 R75/6. I've owned it since new, and have always run the oil about 1/2 qt below full (i.e., halfway between the "1" and "2" marks on the dipstick). Recently, I checked it after being parked for a couple of weeks, and found it to be down to the "1" mark on the dipstick. Shame on me, I know. So I dutifully added 1/2 qt of oil. The next day I went for a short ride (10-15 miles) with a couple of friends. When we stopped, it was dripping a significant amount of oil off of the bottom of the engine. Sigh. A couple of days later I cleaned things up and rolled it back into the garage (never started it). No more drips. Today I sprayed anti-perspirant around to get a good layer of talc. I started it, and ran it for about five minutes at around 2K rpm. And, voila, the leak showed itself. It is coming from a slotted screw head on the LH side of the engine case, directly below the oil pressure sender. I've checked the parts fiche, my old Clymer's manual, and dug around here and on Snowbum's site. I can't find anywhere that hints at what that screw it for. Does anyone know what that screw does, and what a leak there might be telling me? I won't guarantee that I didn't overfill it, but after 40+ years, I'm reasonably sure I've got that process down.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted : 07/21/2020 14:53
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Your best sealant for that plug is going to be LocTite 518 (aka Permatex 51813) Gasket Maker. Neither set of threads will need to be surgically clean to make a lifetime seal, but it won't hurt either. Take all the time you need, because the sealer only 'cures' in the absence of air. The plug will go back on just as you expect, and you'll be able to easily wipe all traces of excess sealer off the outside of the engine. And the sealant will not only stop the leak, it will also have a slight plug retention effect. So you won't need to go through extraordinary effort to keep it in place.

Hope this helps.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/21/2020 21:30
Kevin Martin
(@kemartin3)
Topic starter

Thanks all for the information. Looks like I have a "workshop moment" opportunity awaiting.

Posted : 07/22/2020 08:57

Advertisement

Scroll to top