Clear all

'81 R100RT: exhaust burble on deceleration

17 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
J.T. Sutton
(@j-t-sutton)
Eminent Member

Richard, thanks for your timely and concise response. It so great to be able to search through the list of topics and find just what I am looking for. As part of trying to diagnose my exhaust leak, I have gone ahead and removed the entire exhaust system from my bike. In doing so, it's apparent that the crossover tube has become especially loose. This is most true on the left side which coincides with the exhaust pipe where the popping/burbling seems to be the most pronounced. I am going to order a new crossover pipe right away.

The picture and additional description was also very useful. And yes, "wordcrafting" the English language is a lifelong endeavor. Sometimes my attempts turn out better than others. Your perseverance is appreciated! I have attached a photo of a sealant I had found and considered trying. My fear is that it would be too hard after it cures. I will look on the web and see if I can locate the one you suggest. 

I do however wonder if you would recommend using the silicon sealant with a new pipe as well? 

Hopefully it all goes back together without a hitch and that the annoying sound is gone. 

Best regards.

Posted : 07/25/2022 15:39
Richard W
(@wobbly)

I have no experience with the JB Weld product you show. I love their adhesives, and that's my concern here... that this product is more of an adhesive than a simple sealer. And a simple sealer is all that's required.

Secondly, the behavior of the silicone based product is fully understood. During installation you can slather on great bucket loads of silicone, assemble the pipes, and you'll be able to easily wipe any excess off with a rag when everything is assembled. Will the JB Weld product behave the same ? I don't know. And at the next disassembly, the old, dried silicone can be easily removed with ScotchBrite or steel wool in a matter of minutes.

To be fair, on the other hand there are drawbacks to silicone in that it will typically last about 12 to 15 months. But in truth, exhaust systems tend to be removed (at least partially) about once a year anyway. 

That's all I know.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/26/2022 06:33
Page 2 / 2

Advertisement

Scroll to top