Casper Wyoming: 1983 R80RT

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Franklin Scharppslicer
(@swordofwords)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Casper Wyoming: I pulled my 1983 R80RT off my Velorex sidecar as it was dogging to a stall. I figured maybe I didn't get at the valves to do them properly.I did the valve, as I was off of course. While inside my shop I tried to start it, and had to boost the battery with acharger with the booster function.I started rough but soon had an idle that sounded acceptable. As it was on a couple of jack stands, I could not takeher out to test ride. Outside it would start and idle, so I wanted to save the moment for after work.
Then we had the televised torrential rain, that cleared up after a couple of hours and the streets were rideable then.Trying to start the bike, the tachometer would raise, no starter, the needle dropped and the clicking sound as if the batterywasn't strong enough. I figured maybe the heavy rain go something wet, so I would wait until today to give everything achance to dry out.This morning, again tach needle would rise and drop and not even a click.
I have an Odyssey spare (remember to double check the quantity before you press the Order), but I don't want tojust keep putting batteries if something else is really wrong with it.
I do not want to put the tug back on the sidecar until I'm sure the machine is happy.The machine was last serviced by Beemers and More in Fort Collins, back when they were still in business.
As mentioned in earlier posts whining about other machines: as an Airhead tinkerer Scale of 1 - 10 I'm probably a 5 (3.5 at this point).

Posted : 07/27/2018 19:03
Franklin Scharppslicer
(@swordofwords)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Update:

checked the battery: 12.85 V.
Pulled tank and am cleaning, wiping & looking for visual flaws.
So far when I turn the key to On, nothing for a few second, the tach needle raises for about 15 second then drops to the zero peg

Posted : 07/28/2018 14:10
Franklin Scharppslicer
(@swordofwords)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Noticed no headlight either. Now tracking down fuses on an 83 R80RT? But where?
Hmmm

Posted : 07/28/2018 14:42
Richard W
(@wobbly)

► If you have the mass of electrical connections inside the headlamp shell, then there are two 8A German fuses in there. This type fuse does NOT need to be blown to stop power flow. The 4 copper leafs that hold the 2 fuses are bad to corrode and stop the flow of power into the fuse itself.

► If you have the mass of electrical connections (including relays) on the RH side of the main frame tube under the tank, then you have a tiny black fuse box under the rear of the tank, on the LH side, just above the air filter. It's right there where all the frame tubes meet. Take that sucker off, and plug the 4 wires directly onto the pins to two 10A ATC type modern "flat pack" fuses like a modern car uses. That type fuse is about 400 times more reliable, especially if the contacts are first treated with No-Ox-Id. And unlike the German fuses, you can find those fuses during your travels.

Photo of an ATC Fuse

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 07/29/2018 22:19
Franklin Scharppslicer
(@swordofwords)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm going to install the grey relay that came from the two basket cases (See YouTube video, if curious; FranklinScharppslicer)), an see if there is a change. Then I will go fuse hunting. And BTW, there are no fuses under this 1983 R80RT, so I'm banking on the bucket. If someone would click my a photo, or link to the aftermarket relay in the event I need to go to O'Rileys, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,

Posted : 07/30/2018 20:11
Franklin Scharppslicer
(@swordofwords)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Battery reads 12.8 V. Someone said I should check the coils. did: 12. v on each. Someone said look at fuses. I did. One burnt (lower fuse) and replaced. All inside the bucket, clean and tight.
Is that purple Relay supposed to chatter and whine?

Maybe I should put my spare Odyssey in, but the battery still
reads 12.8. But like Rubber Chicken soup: won't hurt anything.

Posted : 08/01/2018 13:18
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Battery reads 12.8 V.

Reading a battery with a voltmeter means absolutely nothing to anyone. Batteries have to be "load tested". The real voltage after being loaded could be anything.

Someone said I should check the coils. did: 12. v on each.

I think they meant check the coils for proper output.

Someone said look at fuses. I did. One burnt (lower fuse) and replaced. All inside the bucket, clean and tight.

And did you determine why the fuse was blown ? And did you test for the presence of voltage on both sides of each fuse ?

Is that purple Relay supposed to chatter and whine?

Probably not.

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/01/2018 16:39

Advertisement

Scroll to top