FORUM

Notifications
Clear all

Charging system electrical diagnoses when the bike has no generator light installed

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jeff Whitten
(@jeff-whitten)
Topic starter

I have been searching for a solution to a charging issue but everything I find relates to checking the generator light. The PO of my 75 R90/6 installed an Acewell speedometer which has no generator/charging light.  I have replace the VR with an adjustable one, diode board is new and alternator brushes are new. I have 12 volts at the right (looking from the front) side of the diode board. Resistance on the rotor is 0 with an ohm meter with the brushes not touching.  Bike starts and runs fine but even at 2,500rpm + measuring voltage at the battery it is under 12V.  I feel like I need a resistor wire to compensate for not having a generator light but I do not know how to wire this.  Bike is also running a Dyna III system. Suggestions?

Posted : 08/06/2022 09:32
Richard W
(@wobbly)

Call Motorrad Eliktrik and order the "Gen light replacement resistor kit". This "fix" was originally devised for cross country touring.... in case the Gen lamp burned out, but it will also work in your situation. Rick Jones supplies the correct resistor and the instructions.

http://motoelekt.com/

Owning an old Airhead is easy.
Keeping an old Airhead running great is the true test.

Posted : 08/07/2022 13:19

Advertisement

Scroll to top