Fork Cap question

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
Mark Taylor
(@saxontaylor)
Topic starter

Doing fork oil change on new to me 73 R75/5 & when I unscrewed the fork caps the fork nuts came off along with them. Suggestions please!
Also, should I be able to lift the fork spring right out at this point?
Thanks!

Posted : 07/13/2016 06:55
James Strickland
(@8053)
Reputable Member

Correct, the fork springs reside directly under the big nuts. They would be formed on the underside to center the springs. If you can see the springs, they should lift right out. To loosen the caps from the nuts, I would apply heat from an electric heat gun or hair dryer. If the bike is new to you and this is the first time you have tried to remove the caps, it is possible that a previous owner might have used an adhesive on the fork cap threads. If that be the case, applying heat may or may not do the trick.

former Airmarshal, IL.

Posted : 07/13/2016 11:17
Mark Taylor
(@saxontaylor)
Topic starter

Thanks for the advice. I will try a heat gun, my challenge will be not to booger up the threads. I think the cap is stainless steel? So it can g take some heat.
Thanks again!

Posted : 07/13/2016 12:03
Brian Scott
(@brisco)
Eminent Member

I had the same problem when I removed my fork caps. I used a section of leather belt to pad them and clamped in a vise. The caps came right off the nuts. No heating was necessary, bu I had the heat gun ready, just in case.

Posted : 07/23/2016 23:35
John Saban
(@8775)

Hi Saxontaylor your suggestion of using a clamp to hold the Horn/Headlight Switch body together was a good idea and it helped. As far as your issue with the Fork Caps stuck on the Fork Nuts my suggestion would be to use your Pin Wrench from the Tool Kit, gently cushion it in a Vise and by grasping the threads on the nut with something as #14108 suggests it should back off. Good Luck.

Posted : 07/24/2016 01:47
Mark Taylor
(@saxontaylor)
Topic starter

I made use of the leather cushion tip and used a modest heat gun. Both caps came off w/o any damage. Heat gun was a hobby type, like from Michael's store.

Posted : 07/24/2016 08:34
Brian Scott
(@brisco)
Eminent Member

Are you disassembling the forks to clean? Or just doing an oil change?
I was just going to change my oil, but once I saw the condition of the oil, I decided they had to come apart. I'm in the process of disassembly now.
My 73 R75/5 has been sitting for over 30 years though.

Brian

Posted : 07/24/2016 09:03

Advertisement

Scroll to top